Subject: [Tools-discuss] Bug in mail archive re identifying the sender

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 15:38:51 -0500

Looking at
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/sipcore/bvqJHA6kLHOE0GamFfeJjN450Qc,
the first lines of the page are:

  [logo] Mail Archive                                          Sign in
  [sipcore] Review of draft-ietf-sipcore-dns-dual-stack-01
  Simon Perreault <[email-masked]> | Sat, 29 November 2014 16:48 UTC | Show header

but looking at
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/sipcore/LRdKLi9X2bn8bePrddQ4Feh5Ie0
the first lines are:

  [logo] Mail Archive                                          Sign in
  [sipcore] comments on draft-ietf-sipcore-dns-dual-stack-02
   | Tue, 09 June 2015 02:56 UTC | Show header 

I.e., sender's name does not show in the second example.

Looking at the original headers of the message, I see:

  From: =?utf-8?Q?=F0=9F=94=93Dan_Wing?= <[email-masked]>

The sender's name is "*Dan_Wing <[email-masked]>", where I've used "*"
to represent U+01F513, "OPEN LOCK".

Apparently the code used to isolate the sender name fails on this use of
RFC 2047 encoding.

IMO, two reasonable solutions are:

1. Present the encoded value.  In this case,
"=?utf-8?Q?=F0=9F=94=93Dan_Wing?= <[email-masked]>".

2. Present the decoded value.  Since the web page is encoded in UTF-8,
this is feasible.

Dale