Subject: [Tools-discuss] An issue with RFC 7540's rendering on tools.ietf.org/html

From: "HANSEN, TONY L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 15:42:22 +0000

There's a errata that keeps appearing from multiple people on one of the HTTP documents. It's due to a bad hyperlink within the HTML rendering of RFC 7540. In the copyright notice, there is "Section 4" text that is erroneously linked to the document's section 4 (instead of section 4.e of the Trust Legal Provisions).

I don't know what the solution is; hand editing the HTML file and removing the link is one simple solution though.

Tony Hansen

==========
A comment on the erratum report:

On 29 March 2016 at 19:14, RFC Errata System <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
Please correct the link of Section 4.e.

Actually, this one wins the most reported erratum award.

This is problem with the tool that decorates the text of RFCs with
hyperlinks, not the text.

========
From the erratum report:

Original Text
-------------
Copyright Notice

    Copyright (c) 2015 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
    document authors.  All rights reserved.

    This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
    Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
    (http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
    publication of this document.  Please review these documents
    carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
    to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
    include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of
    the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
    described in the Simplified BSD License.

Corrected Text
--------------
Please correct the link of Section 4.e.

Notes
-----
Section 4.e links to Section 4 in this document, while there is no
description about BSD License text.

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 18:27:52 +0200

Hi Tony,

> I don't know what the solution is; hand editing the HTML file and removing the link is one simple solution though.

The html files keep being regenerated when there are status changes.

I've added a fix to rfcmarkup 1.118 which should take care of this.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: "HANSEN, TONY L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 16:43:29 +0000

Thanks Henrik!

	Tony