Subject: [Tools-discuss] commenting on drafts using Google Docs --- getting it unpaginated

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2016 08:41:07 -0400

I've been commenting/sending-text on some drafts by pasting them into Google
Docs, and using the "Suggesting" mode.  (It's not my intention to share this
with the authors directly, but to post to the list, but... )

One reason to try this is because I think it will work nicely (and in offline
mode) on my tablet.  I have been using GetPocket to read offline, but it does
not have a useful way to comment.

I wound up with this script:

#!/bin/sh

draft=$1
curl "http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/cgi-bin/xml2rfc.cgi?url=https://www.ietf.org/id/${draft}.xml&modeAsFormat=unpg/ascii&type=ascii&Submit=Submit" | gdrive upload - $draft

I wish that google doc would let render the underlying xml, but "suggesting" this
way, and then converting the suggestions into XML edits and/or mailing list
comments has been a pretty efficient way to go.  Especially because I get to
hit the happy checkmarks as I go...

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-