Subject: [Tools-discuss] comment from someone using the I-D submission tool for the 1st time

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 02:00:08 +0100

Hiya,

A previously inactive (with the tools) co-author on one of
my documents had to take over submission of a final version.
I asked him for any comments as a first time user of that.
He said:

"
While I'm writing about tools: The draft submission tool has a field
"replaces", which tripped me up because I assumed that what I was
uploading was replacing the earlier version.  Apparently a draft does
not replace itself, or even an earlier version of itself... a few
words on the form ("earlier versions of the draft will be automatically
replaced and should not be listed here") or some logic in the form
handler to silently remove "replaces itself" indications would avoid
some confused "it says there's an error, but everything looks fine to
me" moments.
"

So I'm just passing that on to you. I can see what he means
though, our semantics for replaced-by is a bit special and
assumes some insider knowledge.

Cheers,
S.