Subject: [Tools-discuss] xml2rfc issues?

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 10:31:11 -0400

Why is xml2rfc not on Github?

Which is to say: How do I file an issue / PR on xml2rfc?  It has an "http:"
dependency.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 17:28:57 +0200

> Why is xml2rfc not on Github?

Not everything needs to be on Github :-)

> Which is to say: How do I file an issue / PR on xml2rfc?  It has an
> "http:" dependency.

<https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/report/10>

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 11:54:36 -0400

Thanks Julian.  Cached for next time.

For now, it looks like the issue is actually one with xml.resource.org --
namely that its HTTPS is enabled, but totally non-functional.  First you
get a certificate error, then when you finally connect to the server, it
gives you the content for tools.ietf.org, not xml.resource.org.  (I'm kind
of amazed that someone figured out how to configure that!)

Who has hands on servers to fix this?  I hear there's a CA now that will
give you free certificates for as many domains as you want, so it shouldn't
be an issue to get a cert for xml.resource.org.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 18:30:00 +0200

On 2016-06-30 17:54, Richard Barnes wrote:
> For now, it looks like the issue is actually one with xml.resource.org
> <http://xml.resource.org> -- namely that its HTTPS is enabled, but
> totally non-functional.  First you get a certificate error, then when
> you finally connect to the server, it gives you the content for
> tools.ietf.org <http://tools.ietf.org>, not xml.resource.org
> <http://xml.resource.org>.  (I'm kind of amazed that someone figured out
> how to configure that!)
>
> give you free certificates for as many domains as you want, so it
> shouldn't be an issue to get a cert for xml.resource.org
> <http://xml.resource.org>.

Don't use xml.resource.org anymore. AFAIU, the recommended base URI for 
references is http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/.

Best regards, Julian

PS: my recommendation is not to have specs depend on external resources 
at all, but that's a separate discussion.

---

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 12:39:15 -0400

> references is http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/.

Same problems there.

--Richard

>
> Best regards, Julian
>
> PS: my recommendation is not to have specs depend on external resources at
> all, but that's a separate discussion.
>
>
>
>

---

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 12:48:14 -0400

> references is http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/.

hm, this doesn't work with https either.  can we get this set up with
https?

        --dkg

---

From: Antony Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 18:51:16 +0200

> hm, this doesn't work with https either.  can we get this set up with

Thanks for the comments.

We're looking into it.

-- 
Antony Stone, systems administrator
Internet Engineering Task Force tools servers
http://tools.ietf.org