Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] LICENSE.txt file to IDs on github

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 15:43:13 -0400

Michael Richardson <[email-masked]> writes:
> Is there a suggested LICENSE.txt for internet-drafts repos that live on
> github (or elsewhere)?

I think the boilerplate of each I-D contains the copyright/licensing
information for the I-D.  For instance,
draft-worley-sipcore-dual-stack-00 includes:

   Copyright Notice

   Copyright (c) 2016 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
   document authors.  All rights reserved.

   This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
   Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
   (http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
   publication of this document.  Please review these documents
   carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
   to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
   include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of
   the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
   described in the Simplified BSD License.

So it seems to me that the best approach is to have LICENSE.txt say to
see in the contents of each file for the licensing information.

Dale

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 03:45:07 -0400

> information for the I-D.  For instance,

Yes, but it's not physically in the .xml file until you run xml2rfc on it.
So someone has a reasonable reason to be confused if they see a git repo
that hasn't got a generated .txt file in it.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 19:51:08 +1200

> that hasn't got a generated .txt file in it.

IANAL and YANAL either. So I suggest that LICENSE.txt should simply
point to the IETF Trust legal provisions:
http://trustee.ietf.org/trust-legal-provisions.html

    Brian

---

From: Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 10:33:16 +0200

> http://trustee.ietf.org/trust-legal-provisions.html

Here's a try: https://github.com/yaronf/I-D/blob/master/LICENSE.md

I copied two sections from the current I-D boilerplate, Status and 
Copyright, with tiny editorial changes (plural documents instead of 
singular). I think it is important that "users" should know what I-Ds 
are, hence the Status.

Thanks,
	Yaron

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 11:09:25 +0200

If you manage to work this out, then I'd be interested in receiving a
pull request.

https://github.com/martinthomson/i-d-template

On 22 July 2016 at 10:33, Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]> wrote:
> singular). I think it is important that "users" should know what I-Ds are,
> hence the Status.
>
> Thanks,
>         Yaron
>
>
> --
> Tools-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss
>
> Please report datatracker.ietf.org bugs at
> http://tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb
> or send email to [email-masked]
>
> Please report tools.ietf.org bugs at http://tools.ietf.org/tools/issues or
> send email to [email-masked]

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 11:42:37 +0200

i did what Joe suggested and pointed at IETF trust,  but maybe I will adopt Brians suggestion instead. 

On 22 July 2016 11:09:25 CEST, Martin Thomson <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>>     >> Is there a suggested LICENSE.txt for internet-drafts repos
>that
>>>> live on
>>>>     >> github (or elsewhere)?
>>>>
>>>> Yes, but it's not physically in the .xml file until you run xml2rfc
>on
>>>> it.
>are,

-- 
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 21:52:55 +1200

Yaron,

That looks OK to my non-lawyer eyes but I suggest asking the IETF Trust
to ask their lawyer (who I assure you is very geek-friendly) if it's OK.

Regards
    Brian

On 22/07/2016 20:33, Yaron Sheffer wrote:
> I copied two sections from the current I-D boilerplate, Status and Copyright, with tiny editorial changes (plural documents
> instead of singular). I think it is important that "users" should know what I-Ds are, hence the Status.
> 
> Thanks,
>     Yaron
>

---

From: Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 11:56:49 +0200

Hi Brian,

Could you please connect me to the relevant people? I will then share 
the outcome with this list.

Thanks,
	Yaron

---

From: Benson Schliesser <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 12:09:30 +0200

Hi, Yaron -

I'm a Trustee of the IETF Trust. (See http://trustee.ietf.org/members.html for
the full list.)

I'll bring this discussion to the attention of the Trust and our legal
counsel, and get back to you and the list when we have something helpful to
say.

In the meantime please feel welcome to contact me (or any of the
Trustees) with any questions or input.

Cheers,
-Benson

On Friday, July 22, 2016, Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> Could you please connect me to the relevant people? I will then share the
> outcome with this list.
>
> Thanks,
>         Yaron
>
>>> Copyright, with tiny editorial changes (plural documents