Subject: [Tools-discuss] finding expired documents related to a WG

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 15:55:28 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

Barry says that you want us to stop using the tools wg pages in favor of
the datatracker.  One thing that I currently use the tools page for is to
find individual documents related to the kitten WG -- kitten tends to move
rather slowly, so there are a lot of documents more than 6 months old that
are still of interest.  The tools page currently has a link "to see all
kitten-related documents, go to kitten-related drafts in the ID-archive"),
which works pretty well.  Is there a similar thing on the datatracker, or
could there be?

(I have some vague memory that the tools page used to actually show more
documents inline instead of that link, but can't really substantiate
that.)

Thanks,

Ben

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 22:18:36 +0200

Hi Ben,

On 2016-07-21 21:55, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> the datatracker.

Well, I want to make the datatracker good enough that you don't feel a
need to use the tools pages.  I'm still happy to maintain them without
having any sunset date, but I'd love to make the datatracker even better
than what I made the tools pages.

>  One thing that I currently use the tools page for is to
> are still of interest.

Aha; right.

> The tools page currently has a link "to see all

Hah.  That's a document search feature which isn't available in the data-
tracker yet.  Ok!  I'll see what I can do.

This is the kind of feedback which is very valuable in bringing the data-
tracker forward :-)

> documents inline instead of that link, but can't really substantiate

I think that I at some point changed things from showing all related
documents going back 2 (or maybe 3) years, to only showing related active
and replaced documents.  This was done on request, and I believe I added
the link to all related documents at that time, to support people looking
for expired related documents.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 19:52:02 -0400

> Barry says that you want us to stop using the tools wg pages in favor of

I'd like to note that I find the above sentence incomprehensible.  The
reason is that while I realize that the IETF web site is somehow
partitioned between "tools" and "datatracker" (or something like that)
-- to the point that they have separate logins! -- I never *ever*
remember what pages are in which part.  And I don't see why I should.

Indeed, that is the worst failing of the IETF web site, that the users
are supposed to keep track of which pages are in which part.

How did this user-unfriendliness get established?  My vague impression
is that the actual difference is that different groups of people
maintain each part.  Turf wars run amok!

Dale

---

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 20:25:31 -0400 (EDT)

> tracker yet.  Ok!  I'll see what I can do.

Thanks!

> for expired related documents.

Seems reasonable.  The link is great for me, so no complaints from me.

And thanks again for all the work you put into the tools; we could not do
the work we do without them.

-Ben

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 17:18:29 +1200

What's wrong with this?

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/search/?name=&sort=&rfcs=on&activedrafts=on&olddrafts=on&by=group&group=kitten

In other words use the Additional search criteria in the tracker search

Regards
   Brian Carpenter
   (Don't blame me, I voted Remain.)

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 12:57:20 +0200

> In other words use the Additional search criteria in the tracker search

That gets you some matches, but not all that the draft-*-kitten- pattern
finds.  It misses drafts which haven't been marked as belonging to the
kitten WG.  A couple attempts gave me this, however:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/search/?name=-kitten-&sort=&rfcs=on&activedrafts=on&olddrafts=on&by=group&group=

To get there, use the search string "-kitten-" and ask for RFCs, drafts,
and expired drafts in the Additional search criteria,

Best regards,

	Henrik