Subject: [Tools-discuss] experiences today with JITSI

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 16:40:40 -0400

The 6tisch security design team has been using JITSI.tools for the past few
meetings, and today didn't go well.  We had to bail into webex and dialins
half-way through. (And java based webex is worse and worse for cross-platform
support)

Please take this as constructive as possible.  I really want this to work...

1) There is some bug where we get less than a full matrix of audio through.
   I.e. A can hear B and C, but B can only hear A and not C.
   This is sometimes fixed by A and/or B hitting "reload" in their browser.
   This seems to happen if C has joined last.  If A or B hit reload, they
   may not be "last".

   I'm guessing that this is partly due to RTC media trying to go "direct"
   rather than through a cross-bar.

   We need some way to verify who is getting one-way audio, and who just
   has some local mute issue.

2) Poor audio quality at times.  Often it is AWESOME quality.  In fact,
   after we switched to webex, people complained that my quality was low,
   as I was now on SIP->PSTN->WEBEX.

3) Corporate firewalls.  Two participants from the same company (San Jose and
   France). San Jose one could hear just fine, but we could never hear them.

4) Lack of a dial-in/dial-out capability is still a problem.  At least, it
   lets us work around points 2 and 3.

Thank you for making the etherpad remain, it's very useful, even if we know
that it could go away, at least, we know that if we forget to grab it, we can
come back 20 minutes later.    I think that maybe it's integrated (i.e. just
uses) the etherpad.tools.ietf.org:9000 instance, but the name is not
identical?  Or maybe that didn't happen yet.

Aside from the dial-in use case wanting the etherpad, there is also the
conference room use case where three or four people are on JITSI in a
conference room, but multiple of them want to etherpad at the same time.
Sometimes the situation is that the conference room computer has the right
firewall permissions (or is outside firewall) so that it can do full JITSI,
but the laptop that the person brought is still inside, so just all joining
the JITSI doesn'tw rok.

WARNING: BLUE SKY IDEAS FOLLOWS. Abandon all hope, all YEAH who scroll down!


It would very nice if we could have 70% of screen be etherpad, and leave the
rest for video or other screen sharing.  (we all turned our video off, btw).
Starting with video off as a conference setting would be nice too.

I'd also like to have video from me *AND* screen share from me, and have them
as seperate feeds.  AND still have the etherpad visible....  Obviously
subject to local controls, because not everyone has pairs of 4K monitors,
and those that do might not want to devote the whole thing to the meeting
they are supposed to be participating in...

I suggest that the etherpad, screen share, etc. be feeds just like the
people, so that really, you can just pick them, but also, that when picking a
person, one of the options isn't to see them, but rather, to see what they
see (arrangement and choice of windows!).  And if the conference
creator/owner could perhaps make following him be the default...

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-