Subject: [Tools-discuss] problems with xml2rfc

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 22:55:35 -0400

Running xml2rfc (2.5.1) gives me an error in the Python:

requests.exceptions.SSLError: hostname 'xml.resource.org' doesn't match
either of '*.ietf.org', 'ietf.org'

This seems to happen because I have an incorrect URL in a reference.
I'm guessing this is because some server that is being visited with TLS
responds with an IETF certificate, but has the name xml.resource.org.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: "IETF-Action via RT" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 19:55:40 -0700

Greetings,

This message has been automatically generated in response to the
creation of a trouble ticket regarding:
	"problems with xml2rfc", 
a summary of which appears below.

There is no need to reply to this message right now.  Your ticket has been
assigned an ID of [www.ietf.org/rt #145548].

Please include the string:

         [www.ietf.org/rt #145548]

in the subject line of all future correspondence about this issue. To do so, 
you may reply to this message.

                        Thank you,
                        [email-masked]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 14:49:15 +1100

> either of '*.ietf.org', 'ietf.org'

xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org should work.  You should be able to do a simple
search and replace to fix it.  xml.resource.org is reduced to a dumb
redirect apparently.  That is doesn't have a valid cert is a little
annoying though.

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 07:32:40 -0400

Martin Thomson <[email-masked]> wrote:
    >> requests.exceptions.SSLError: hostname 'xml.resource.org' doesn't
    >> match either of '*.ietf.org', 'ietf.org'

    > redirect apparently.  That is doesn't have a valid cert is a little

I guessing that xml2rfc is going through a list of URLs to try, and it can't
see the 404 after the redirect, because it doesn't trust the redirect.

So quite likely there are two issues:
  1) xmlrfc should finally stop using xml.resource.org, which I thought it was going
     to do last time we had problems with that URL.
  2) the HTTPS on xml.resource.org should have a correct cert.

While I could hack my source code, the source of the 404 appears to be
because I uploaded a -00 draft followed immediately by one that references
it, and the reference.*xml for the -00 hadn't finished being mirrored yet.
As such, the xml2rfc check that runs when I upload .xml files also fails with
the same error...

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 13:39:07 +0200

>      to do last time we had problems with that URL.

It only tries xml.resource.org after both xml2rfc.ietf.org and
xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org have failed.  But there's no sense any more
in keeping xml.resource.org in the list, I think; so I'll remove it.

	Henrik

---

From: "HANSEN, TONY L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 16:31:18 +0000

On 10/20/16, 7:39 AM, "Tools-discuss on behalf of Henrik Levkowetz" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

Yeah, I guess it’s time.

	Tony Hansen