Subject: [Tools-discuss] Encoding of ietf-announce list

From: Julien ÉLIE <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 22:37:07 +0100

Hi all,

There is an encoding issue in the mails sent to ietf-announce (by 
datatracker?).
You can see a recent example here:
   https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg16068.html

where the Subject header field, as well as the title of the 
Internet-Draft in the body of the mail are incorrectly encoded:
"Use of Transport Layer Security (TLS) inÂ theÂ NetworkÂ NewsÂ TransferÂ 
Protocol (NNTP)".
"&nbsp;" should result in an unbreakable space.

I hope this list is the right place to report that issue.  Otherwise, 
who should I contact for the mails sent to ietf-announce?

Thanks,

-- 
Julien ÉLIE

« – Tu n'as rien remarqué d'étrange chez cet Arverne ?
   – Oui, son accent. » (Astérix)

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2016 23:19:48 +0100

Hi Julien,

> "&nbsp;" should result in an unbreakable space.

Yes.  Issue found and a fix committed 4 days ago:

  https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/changeset/12429

This will be part of the next patch release, some time during the
coming week.

> who should I contact for the mails sent to ietf-announce?

For any issue related to the datatracker, please see the footer information
for this list.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Julien ÉLIE <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 22:05:17 +0100

Hi Henrik,

> This will be part of the next patch release, some time during the

Many thanks for having fixed the issue.  Greatly appreciated.

-- 
Julien ÉLIE

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 07:59:04 +1300

On 05/12/2016 11:19, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
...
> For any issue related to the datatracker, please see the footer information
...
> Please report datatracker.ietf.org bugs at http://tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb
> or send email to [email-masked]
> 
> Please report tools.ietf.org bugs at http://tools.ietf.org/tools/issues or
> send email to [email-masked]

So, I'm now officially confused. I was taught to report all web site issues to
[email-masked] to put them into the Secretariat's tracker for follow-up.

    Brian

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2016 15:19:19 -0600

> [email-masked] to put them into the Secretariat's tracker for follow-up.
With understanding and sympathy for this not being as simple as it seems 
it should be, the instructions you quote have been on the various email 
lists and at the footers of the various tools for years.

If you do report datatracker issues using ietf-action, the secretariat 
will only forward the ticket to the datatracker system and it will be 
closed. All followup will happen from the tools development team 
(currently, I'm making sure the datatracker issues are acted on as the 
project manager for the TMC). The net best result is a loss of time in 
getting the issue addressed.

A similar thing will happen for tools.ietf.org issues - the secretariat 
can only send the tickets to Henrik and then close them. At best, time 
getting the right eyes on the issue is lost, and at worst something 
falls in the cracks during the handoff.

I agree that having so many ways into reporting issues is confusing. I 
don't like it. But, the secretariat has tried (in the meeting context in 
particular) providing a single issue entry point, and has repeatedly 
seen the kinds of impedance problems I call out above.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 10:51:55 +1300

below...

> seen the kinds of impedance problems I call out above.

It makes sense. However, the "Problem Reports" section of https://www.ietf.org/secretariat.html
(which is the "Contact Us" page) says otherwise, so needs to be updated. Similarly
https://www.ietf.org/contact-the-ietf.html (which is the "Contact" page).

Why "Contact us" and "Contact" are different pages is another question.

Also every page at www.ietf.org says this at the bottom:
Please send problem reports to: [email-masked].

Will you handle it? I could, but you're more likely to get it right. I suspect this needs
a ticket to [email-masked], maybe :-).

Regards
    Brian

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2016 16:27:34 -0600

Yes, I'll take on driving those.