Subject: [Tools-discuss] interim meetings calendar

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2017 10:00:57 -0500

When we have official (virtual) interim meetings, it requires IESG approval,
and the secretariat makes an announcement.  I don't know if the secretariat
has a way to record these in the datatracker in such a way that a ics feed
can be created?   Do we have plans to make that happen?

We do not require approval for design team meetings, but I feel it would be
useful to keep track of them.

I don't propose to change that, but rather to make it easier for people to
know when things are, given time zones, etc. and that CST doesn't always mean
North America Central time... and to make sure everyone has the right meeting
join URLs.

My suggestion for an interim measure is for the secretariat to maintain a
calendar to which design teams and virtual interims could "invite".
(If using ietf.webex.com, you'd just always populate the who to invite with
this virtual calendar)

This could be trivially done with a google (or other) account/calendar that
auto-accepts all invitations.  Ideally, the ietf.webex.com would produce a
feed of all meetings it knows about.    This could be an @ietf.org alias
which later on goes into the datatracker perhaps.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 10:33:15 -0500

> which later on goes into the datatracker perhaps.

This question is coming from the TEEP BoF prep call that was in the
middle of the night for me at least.  Pre-BoF prep calls don't have
the same requirements, although Hannes has said he would provide
minutes.  I would also like a calendar and suggest it to my chairs to
provide an ics file when they announce, but a tool to do this would be
much better.

Thanks,
Kathleen

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 13:31:22 -0600

> which later on goes into the datatracker perhaps.
Michael - it may not _quite_ be what you're looking for yet, but there 
is an ics download
of the upcoming interim meetings that the datatracker knows about already.

On https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/upcoming (which you can navigate 
to from the menus),
there's a [Download as .ics] button. It links to 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/upcoming.ics,
which you can subscribe to using your favorite calendaring program.

RjS

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 16:01:28 -0600

Hi, Robert,

On Mar 1, 2017 13:31, "Robert Sparks" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> which later on goes into the datatracker perhaps.
Michael - it may not _quite_ be what you're looking for yet, but there is
an ics download
of the upcoming interim meetings that the datatracker knows about already.

On https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/upcoming (which you can navigate to
from the menus),
there's a [Download as .ics] button. It links to
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/upcoming.ics,
which you can subscribe to using your favorite calendaring program.

I peeked at this, and it's 99 percent of what I would like for interim
meetings (so, great, and thank you for the clue), but it gives me every
session in every meeting slot for IETF 98, down to refreshment breaks.
That's just under 40 entries each on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.

That might be the right answer for everyone else, but there was a separate
interim meetings URL, that would be a better answer for me, the way I do
calendaring.

Thanks,

Spencer

RjS

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 16:13:12 -0600

Robert,

On Mar 1, 2017 16:08, "Robert Sparks" <[email-masked]> wrote:

Ouch. Yes, that needs to be improved.

I've entered a ticket for it at <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/
tools/ietfdb/ticket/2216>
<https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/ticket/2216>R

Thanks for that!

Spencer

jS

On 3/1/17 4:01 PM, Spencer Dawkins at IETF wrote:

Hi, Robert,

Thanks,

Spencer

RjS

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2017 20:31:44 -0500

{dropping iesg@ from the list}

Robert Sparks <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > Michael - it may not _quite_ be what you're looking for yet, but there is an
    > ics download

    > which you can subscribe to using your favorite calendaring program.

That's 97% of what I'm hoping for.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

1) It would be great if we can get the next level in place as well: design team
   meetings, IAOC sub-cmte, and the like in.  Perhaps WG-Chairs could be allowed
   to submit items?  Could the IESG and IAB telechats be added?

2) We need times/places/URLs to be added as well.  Probably others will want
   minutes, but we need to be a bit loose. (I think minutes should be a URL
   pointing at ML post...)

3) Like Spencer says, I don't think we need actual meeting ICS to be
   included, because we have that already.  Maybe some people would
   like EVERYTHING, but not me.

My goals here are:
   a) to let my computer figure out the time-zone stuff. (DONE)

   b) to know that the ICS entry has the latest and most accurate meeting
      join information.   So I can just click on the right link...

   c) I screwed up IASA 2.0, thinking when I skipped the 11am EST
      session on Tuesday to do a rescheduled ANIMA DT meeting, that
      I could hit the second IASA session, but actually, that was the
      second one. Duh on me.
      And of course, it was also at the same time as the RTG Area
      Chair Chat, which got cancelled at the last minute. So being
      able to schedule to avoid obvious conflicts...