Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] etherpad flaky and trouble reporting

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2018 09:09:15 -0500

Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > Maybe.  At the moment I'm thinking of having a summary of the appropriate
    > points of contact on one single page, with a link directly from the

That's what I would like.
I think that page should be on www.ietf.org/<something>

    > www.ietf.org front page, and also from the datatracker.  (Although I'm not
    > sure how often people find the bug reporting link which is already in the
    > datatracker menus...)

It could be more prominent.
I did look.  But it suggests that it's about *bugs* in the datatracker.
I think that 80% of the time the problems people have merit an email to
ietf-action@ first.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2018 09:12:43 -0500

Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]> wrote:
    >>> Yes, that's true.
    >>> But maybe we can socialize a single place better than the algorithm that you
    >>> provided in the footer.
    >>

    > There's already https://www.ietf.org/contact/ if you can stand the Stupid Large
    > Font, but it has too many words and omits http://tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb
    > and http://tools.ietf.org/tools/issues.

That page is pretty good.
It does have some omissions, and I'm still unclear from reading the page if
etherpad issues should be reported to ietf-action@ or not.

    > It's linked quite prominently from the top menu bar on https://www.ietf.org
    > and from https://www.ietf.org/links/. So I'd expect people to look there
    > first.

Perhaps the "contact" link at the top could have a drop-down/hover that says,
"problems and bug reports" so that it's clear I found the right spot.

Given the history of other sites where "contact" leads to a web form that
puts me on the marketing mailing list, I wouldn't have thought that "contact"
was the right link.