Subject: [Tools-discuss] changed alignment of main content in HTML versions of docs?

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 14:38:35 -0600

Hi all,

I think that "recently" (in the past few weeks, maybe?  I was not good at
taking notes), the HTML rendering of documents on tools.ietf.org has
changed from having the main <pre> content being basically left-aligned to
being more center-aligned.  On the face of it this would be good, as
centering is kinder to the reader and meets modern expectations for page
behvaior.  However, when I go to copy/paste a chunk of text, there is now a
huge left margin that I can't start my click+drag on in order to select
text.  Instead, I have to find something within the <pre>, and if I want
uniform indentation, I have to hunt for the actual boundary of the <pre>
where my cursor changes from a pointer to a text-selection 'I'.

Does this change ring a bell for anyone, and is there any hope for a tweak
that would make text-selection easier with the new layout?

Thanks,

Ben

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 22:13:42 +0100

Hi Ben,

> where my cursor changes from a pointer to a text-selection 'I'.

Hmm.  Yes.  I see that this works as I'd expect in Firefox, but in Safari
it will start the selection at the top of the page if I start the drag in
the margin.

Ok, I'll see if there is a simple approach which will improve this.

Regards,

	Henrik

> ___________________________________________________________
> Tools-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss
> 
> Please report datatracker.ietf.org and mailarchive.ietf.org
> bugs at http://tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb
> or send email to [email-masked]
> 
> Please report tools.ietf.org bugs at
> http://tools.ietf.org/tools/issues
> or send email to [email-masked]
>