Subject: [Tools-discuss] Issue with new state ID-Exists

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 16:49:37 -0800

Henrik, perhaps you could tell me the API state code for "ID-Exists"? I need to explode it from consideration.

My issue is that I have a tool that works from data tracker data to tell me what active internet drafts exist in my working group. States that are relevant include "someone posted it", various working groups states such as "wondering whether we should adopt this draft", "in Working Group Last Call", etc, the various IESG states, and the RFC Editor states. As I retrieve these from the data tracker I consider them to have a precedence order - if the IESG is balloting a draft, the fact that it was in my working group is no longer relevant, and so on.

All of a sudden all of that information is obliterated. My tool now only tells me that the IESG is aware that the "I-D exists". So I can no longer presume that IESG state trumps WG state; I have to special case that one.

If you want to understand that, go to https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/search?name=v6ops&sort=&rfcs=on&activedrafts=on&by=group&group= and look for the state "Working Group Document". It doesn't exist, nor do any of the other states relevant at the working group level.

Any suggestions on how to go back to a useful description of the state of a document?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war,
Defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
     Sun Tzu

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 19:03:19 -0600

Hi Fred -

The change is a consequence of a long-standing request from the IESG to 
be able to return a document to ID-Exists. Previously it was a 
pseudo-state that corresponded to "Has never had IESG State". Be cause 
of that "has never" connotation, returning to the pseudo-state was 
impossible. The change we've made now is that the IESG state machine 
_always_ has a state, and it enters at "ID-Exists". Documents can return 
to it now and not lose the IESG state history that existed.

To return your tool to how it worked before the change, you are correct 
- you will need to teach the your tool that and IESG state of 
"ID-Exists" isn't important to you. Depending on how you are retrieving 
data from the datatracker, that might be as simple as adding a filter to 
a query.

But be aware that the assumption that you've made to date (that IESG 
state "trumps" working group state) has rough edges and there are a lot 
of documents (anything that's been sent back to a working group) that 
you would need special case code for if you didn't have it already.

RjS

On 1/2/19 6:49 PM, Fred Baker wrote:
> ___________________________________________________________
> Tools-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss
>
> Please report datatracker.ietf.org and mailarchive.ietf.org
> bugs at http://tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb
> or send email to [email-masked]
>
> Please report tools.ietf.org bugs at
> http://tools.ietf.org/tools/issues
> or send email to [email-masked]

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 19:09:36 -0600

Replying separately to what I think is a bug report below:

> If you want to understand that, go to https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/search?name=v6ops&sort=&rfcs=on&activedrafts=on&by=group&group= and look for the state "Working Group Document". It doesn't ex…

Similarly, https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/v6ops/documents/, correct? 
I think you're saying these search result rows used to show better 
information (more detail) for the stream state when a document did not 
yet have IESG state?

If I have that right, I'll add a ticket and work to get what was 
previously displayed back.

RjS

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 19:24:43 -0600

Hrrm - no - reading the code, all the information that was displayed in 
the search result rows before is still displayed. There are rows that 
will display the IESG state ID-Exists that didn't used to, but the 
stream state (in this case "WG Document" for documents that are WG 
documents) is still displayed.

See the row for draft-ietf-v6ops-nat64-deployment on either of the links 
below for an example.

RjS

On 1/2/19 7:09 PM, Robert Sparks wrote:
>> If you want to understand that, go tohttps://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/search?name=v6ops&sort=&rfcs=on&activedrafts=on&by=group&group=  and look for the state "Working Group Document". It doesn't exist, nor do any of the other states relevant at the working group level.
>
> Similarly, https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/v6ops/documents/, 
> correct? I think you're saying these search result rows used to show 
> better information (more detail) for the stream state when a document 
> did not yet have IESG state?
>
>> bugs athttp://tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb
>> or send email [email-masked]
>>
>> or send email [email-masked]
>

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2019 12:17:15 -0800

> On Jan 2, 2019, at 4:49 PM, Fred Baker <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

I am attaching two state descriptions for documents in my working group. One accepts the states as shown on the data tracker. The other excludes state 150. Guess which is useful to a working group chair. When we get the display states fixed, let me know.