Subject: [Tools-discuss] xml2rfc license file and git repository ?

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 18:53:07 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

While upgrading xml2rfc, I found that the LICENSE file has vanished. Can
this be re-added in the next version. This allows packages, such as
those on fedora/rhel/centos at least, to ship the license file using
the %license macro.

I could find no such file and had to look into PKG-INFO to find some odd
flavour of BSD license mentioned.

Also, where is the git repo? I wanted to see the history of this file
but I cannot find the source code repository.

Thanks,

Paul

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 01:37:28 +0100

Hi Paul,

> those on fedora/rhel/centos at least, to ship the license file using

Huh.  Indeed, it has, but not intentionally.  I'll put it back.

> but I cannot find the source code repository.

https://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/tools/xml2rfc/trunk/cli/

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 20:42:29 -0500 (EST)

> Huh.  Indeed, it has, but not intentionally.  I'll put it back.

Thanks!

I've gone through a lot of python upgrading to get the fedora/centos
package to be up to date, but I failed to find the python pango bindings
it complains about when I run it. Where can these be found?

Requirements I needed that were not listed in requirements.txt:
weasyprint
pango ?

And is "six" really needed on a python3 system?

Thanks for having the online version. I had to go that since I couldn't
generate the rfc txt from xml :/

Thanks,

Paul

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 13:29:42 +0100

> it complains about when I run it. Where can these be found?

They should be part of the pango install.  Fedora/centos may have some
additional build system dependencies for the pango python bindings to
appear, though.  On Debian/Devuan, I've installed libpango, libcairo,
libpangocairo, and things have worked.

> Requirements I needed that were not listed in requirements.txt:

Since weasyprint is dependent on the native libs for pango and cairo,
it's not meaningful to force an installation without those.

> And is "six" really needed on a python3 system?

Six provides both the py27 and py3X sides of compatibility services that
makes it feasible (even easy) to write code that works on both py2 and py3.

When we remove py27 support, we can rewrite without six.

> generate the rfc txt from xml :/

Hmm.  As long as you didn't need to produce v3 pdf, the install without
weasyprint, pango, and cairo should have been able to work just fine.
Any more details on where you ran into problems?

Best,

	Henrik

---

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 15:09:52 -0500 (EST)

> libpangocairo, and things have worked.

I thought I had installed all relevants parts. I'll check again.

> When we remove py27 support, we can rewrite without six.

Ok. Looks like I have yet another package to package up then :P

> Any more details on where you ran into problems?

paul@thinkpad python-xml2rfc]$ xml2rfc draft-ietf-dnsop-algorithm-update-05.xml 
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/bin/xml2rfc", line 11, in <module>
     load_entry_point('xml2rfc==2.18.0', 'console_scripts', 'xml2rfc')()
   File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py",
line 476, in load_entry_point
     return get_distribution(dist).load_entry_point(group, name)
   File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py",
line 2700, in load_entry_point
     return ep.load()
   File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py",
line 2318, in load
     return self.resolve()
   File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py",
line 2324, in resolve
     module = __import__(self.module_name, fromlist=['__name__'],
level=0)
   File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/xml2rfc/__init__.py", line 52,
in <module>
     PANGO_VERSION = pango.pango_version
   File "/usr/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/cffi/api.py", line 882, in
__getattr__
     make_accessor(name)
   File "/usr/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/cffi/api.py", line 877, in
make_accessor
     raise AttributeError(name)
AttributeError: pango_version

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 21:55:44 +0100

Hi Paul,

>> Any more details on where you ran into problems?

<<snip traceback>>

> AttributeError: pango_version

Ah. Ok. I've added that to the import exception catch.  Will be part of the
next release.  Thanks!

	Henrik