Subject: [Tools-discuss] Replacement status set during I-D submission

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 09:49:42 -0700

Hello,

I tried to set a "Replaces" during I-D submission [1].  The 
datatracker sent a notification with the following message: "This 
document now replaces None instead of None".  That message is 
confusing given that the datatracker displayed the name of the I-D 
which the new I-D attempted to replace.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-moonesamy-recall-rev

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 12:57:53 -0400

SM:

If only the rev number is changing, the "replaces" should not be used.  The "replaces" is used to indicate an older file name, and it is most commonly used to indicate that an individual draft has been adopted by a WG.  

For example, look at https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc4071bis/ <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc4071bis/>

Russ

> On Mar 31, 2019, at 12:49 PM, S Moonesamy <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hello,
> 
> I tried to set a "Replaces" during I-D submission [1].  The datatracker sent a notification with the following message: "This document now replaces None instead of None".  That message is confusing given that the datatracker displayed the name of the I-D which the new I-D attempted to replace.
> 
> Regards,
> S. Moonesamy
>

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 10:12:51 -0700

Hi Russ,
At 09:57 AM 31-03-2019, Russ Housley wrote:
>If only the rev number is changing, the "replaces" should not be 
>used.  The "replaces" is used to indicate an older file name, and it 
>is most commonly used to indicate that an individual draft has been 
>adopted by a WG.

Thanks for the explanation.  I attempted a "Replaces" for 
draft-klensin-recall-rev-00.   Does the datatracker cater for that 
given that the two drafts are not WG documents?

Regards,
S. Moonesamy