Subject: [Tools-discuss] Rfcmarkup-1.129 feedback: CSS bug

From: Jeffrey Yasskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 12:56:12 -0700

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4838#section-3.6.2 renders with the two
lines of the section title on top of each other. This appears to happen
because the CSS gives class="h4" the style "line-height: 0pt;".

If rfcmarkup isn't the tool that generates this HTML, could you point this
bug report in the right direction?

Thanks,
Jeffrey

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 07:42:00 +0200

On 26.08.2019 21:56, Jeffrey Yasskin wrote:
> ...

Seems to work fine in Firefox and Chrome...

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 08:19:03 +0200

Hi Jeffrey,

> bug report in the right direction?

This does not happen with the browsers available to me (various versions
of Firefox, Safari, Mobile Safari, Chrome).  In which browser (name and
version) do you see this?

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 10:29:35 -0400

Broken for me -- image: http://www.owl-stretching-time.com/css.png

Running:
Google Chrome77.0.3865.42 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)
Revision560add2406a0e2970a0c7983e3a3fb36bcdc7d5c-refs/branch-heads/3865@{#523}
OSmacOS Version 10.14.6 (Build 18G87)
JavaScriptV8 7.7.299.4

W

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 2:19 AM Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]> wrote:
> ___________________________________________________________
> Tools-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss
>
> Please report datatracker.ietf.org and mailarchive.ietf.org
> bugs at http://tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb
> or send email to [email-masked]
>
> Please report tools.ietf.org bugs at
> http://tools.ietf.org/tools/issues
> or send email to [email-masked]

-- 
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad
idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair
of pants.
   ---maf

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 16:57:09 +0200

> OSmacOS Version 10.14.6 (Build 18G87)

I can confirm that Chrome 77 (beta) shows the breakage, while 76 does
not. I'll leave it to CSS experts to decide, who's bug this is...

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Jeffrey Yasskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 14:16:51 -0700

Thanks for pointing out that this changes across browsers and
versions. I've filed
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=998893 so Chrome
folks can look into it and undo the change if it's incorrect.

Is the line-height:0 really needed in the RFC style? It doesn't seem
like you intend 0-height lines here.

Jeffrey

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 23:23:23 +0200

Hi Jeffrey,

> folks can look into it and undo the change if it's incorrect.

Ack, thanks!

> like you intend 0-height lines here.

I'm not sure -- it's probably 15 years since I put together the CSS for
the htmlized documents, and the only thing I've tweaked since is the
horizontal placement (left vs. center) of the document text in the viewport.

I'll go and have a look, but I suspect I had a reason at the time.  There
could very well be much better CSS solutions today, though.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Jeffrey Yasskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 14:25:56 -0700

Thanks for looking into it!

Jeffrey