Subject: [Tools-discuss] Idnits feature request

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 18:56:51 -0000

Hi,

Been discussing this with the other stream heads and wondered whether there
is space for a feature in your To Do list for idnits.

I see at https://tools.ietf.org/tools/idnits/todo that you have an item for
cross-checking obsoletion of higher level docs.

Could you also check for obsoletes/updates across streams (e.g., an
Independent Submission attempts to Obsolete an IETF Stream RFC) and generate
a warning such as:

"This document attempts to obsolete/update an RFC from another stream.
Specific rules may apply to this process, and you will need sign-off from
both stream heads before this document can proceed."

Very much appreciate the work that the tools team does.

Best,
Adrian
--
Adrian Farrel
Independent Submissions Editor (ISE)
[email-masked]