Subject: [Tools-discuss] Historical information on leadership positions

From: Jim Fenton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 15:16:42 -0800

In NomCom this year, we found the "person" pages on datatracker (
https://datatracker.ietf.org/person/John%20Doe ) to be quite useful in
seeing what the contributions of the nominees have been and what their
current roles are.

While datatracker gives information on expired Internet Drafts where the
person is an author, it only gives current information on roles (WG
chair, AD, IAB, etc.) they hold. In evaluating a nominee, it would be
helpful to have historical roles the have held as well. Is this
information available in the database? If not, is there a way we can put
together the historical record to make this available?

-Jim

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 09:35:31 -0600

Hi Jim -

The short answer is "no, the datatracker doesn't have this information".

Giving it this information would be a herculean task - I've started to 
make runs at it a few times over the years. The effort would ultimately 
rely on collecting people's memories.

There is a notion of GroupHistory/RoleHistory that was designed to 
capture this kind of thing, but the GroupHistory objects haven't been 
consistently created every time roles change.

For instance, you can't see from the datatracker that, or when, I was 
chair of SIMPLE for many years. The best you can tell is that I was its 
AD when it closed.

Henrik may have more to add.

RjS

On 11/25/19 5:16 PM, Jim Fenton wrote:
> ___________________________________________________________
> Tools-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss
>
> Please report datatracker.ietf.org and mailarchive.ietf.org
> bugs at http://tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb
> or send email to [email-masked]
>
> Please report tools.ietf.org bugs at
> http://tools.ietf.org/tools/issues
> or send email to [email-masked]

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 16:44:07 +0100

> Henrik may have more to add.

I've nothing to add about past history.  Going forward, it's certainly
possible to add support for a more comprehensive role history which would
let us show such per-person historical information in the future.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Jim Fenton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 12:31:17 -0800

> let us show such per-person historical information in the future.
I suspected datatracker might not have the history.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to start collecting role history so that
we can perhaps use it in the future. I'll submit an enhancement ticket
for that. I wonder if recreating the history of the higher-level
leadership positions (IESG and IAB, but not working group chairs) would
be worthwhile. Doesn't seem like that subset would be quite herculean.

-Jim

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 10:32:25 +1300

> I wonder if recreating the history of the higher-level
> be worthwhile.

That's all on the IESG and IAB web pages, but not in the same format.
https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/past-members/
https://www.iab.org/about/history/ (page down to "IAB Members")

Regards
   Brian