Subject: [Tools-discuss] xml2rfc archives vs datatracker

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 03:57:22 +0800

Hi, my understanding is that xml2rfc.ietf.org is just a redirect to
tools.ietf.org, and is not yet supported.

Meanwhile, the datatracker.ietf.org is supported, and now are doing XML as
primary submission format, and that involves the datatracker reaching out to
xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org to run xml2rfc.
So, if xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org is down, or is missing a generated
reference. file,  then I can't submit documents via the datatracker.

(Or I have to submit .txt files, perhaps, which I don't know if I do
programmatically)

What is the plan to rationalize this support situation?

-- 
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 14:24:04 -0600

> What is the plan to rationalize this support situation?

The datatracker has its own instance of xml2rfc installed locally (see 
the requirements.txt file).

When you submit through the datatracker, that local instance is used. 
The datatracker does not call out to tools.ietf.org.

RjS

>
>
> ___________________________________________________________
> Tools-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss
>
> Please report datatracker.ietf.org and mailarchive.ietf.org
> bugs at http://tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb
> or send email to [email-masked]
>
> Please report tools.ietf.org bugs at
> http://tools.ietf.org/tools/issues
> or send email to [email-masked]

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 23:06:15 +0100

Hi Michael,

> What is the plan to rationalize this support situation?

Marshall Rose's old TCL scripts have been misbehaving lately, and I don't
know how to fix them.

In datatracker release 6.110.0 of Nov 5th I added generation of draft
bibxml3 entries directly from the datatracker database, and I aim to
deploy that for trial soon, and eventually replace the scripts running
on tools.ietf.org with the new code.

As soon as I've got the bibxml3 file generation deployed, I'll tap you
for testing of that.

Meanwhile, the on-the-fly references also introduced on Nov. 5 are available:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/bibxml3/draft-selander-lake-edhoc.xml

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 16:43:10 +0800

>> Meanwhile, the datatracker.ietf.org is supported, and now are doing
    >> XML as primary submission format, and that involves the datatracker
    >> reaching out to xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org to run xml2rfc.  So, if
    >> xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org is down, or is missing a generated

    > When you submit through the datatracker, that local instance is
    > used. The datatracker does not call out to tools.ietf.org.

You misunderstand me.
The reference.* files are searched for on xml2rfc.tools.ietc.org/...bibxml*/...
So if the file is missing, the XML does not render.

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 16:46:32 +0800

Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > Marshall Rose's old TCL scripts have been misbehaving lately, and I
    > don't know how to fix them.

Understood.

    > on tools.ietf.org with the new code.

Very nice.
Maybe you want Cloudflare to cache these rather than hitting the django code
each time?

    > https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/bibxml3/draft-selander-lake-edhoc.xml

okay, at least I can wget that file into my .cache/xml2rfc directory for now.
I think that I can also customize XML_LIBRARY to change the URL. I used to
rsync them all to the laptop, but I think that I stopped.

-- 
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [ 
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        | network architect  [ 
]     [email-masked]  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [