Subject: [Tools-discuss] logged off of DT

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 11:23:38 -0400

I think that there was some discussion a few months ago about sessions caches
and getting logged out regularly of the DT.  I thought that I heard mention
that session caches were being expanded to accomodate.
I think that I should maybe open an ietf-action ticket?

I just wanted to say that I am pretty consistently logged out every morning.
If we are being LRU'ed, this is going to hurt during IETF108 :-)

I will add that I log in most days from both my desktop and my laptop, which
may mean I'm using two session cache entries, or maybe I'm LRU'ing myself.

My desktop does *not* change IP addresses... ever.
My laptop does move around, but the browsers in question synchronize stuff,
so if the cookie is not IP address specific, then I would expect it to keep
me logged in on both.

If there were page which I would like more caching on (so that it loads
faster, and/or it loads less often), it would be the tracked document page,
which I use more and more often to get to where I need to do work.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 17:29:06 +0200

On 2020-06-23, at 17:23, Michael Richardson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> getting logged out regularly of the DT.  

(DT is not design team, but datatracker, I think.)

I can report the same.  This is not a big problem where the datatracker only offers a certain page to logged-in users.  But where the detailed options on a page, or even the further processing of an option (draft submission!) differ based on whether I’m logged in or not, that is an issue.

I would propose to build dt.ietf.org in such a way that it always asks the user to login before allowing any access.  datatracker.ietf.org could keep its old behavior, so no change for the uninitiated.

(The next question is how often I need to log in, but I don’t care because that’s pretty much automatic these days.)

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 13:29:09 -0400

Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > I can report the same.  This is not a big problem where the datatracker
    > only offers a certain page to logged-in users.  But where the detailed
    > options on a page, or even the further processing of an option (draft
    > submission!) differ based on whether I’m logged in or not, that is an
    > issue.

I would like all the pages to have all of the buttons, with a login demanded
if I need it.
Yes, that could be confusing if AD-only buttons are presented to non-AD users.

    > I would propose to build dt.ietf.org in such a way that it always asks
    > the user to login before allowing any access.  datatracker.ietf.org
    > could keep its old behavior, so no change for the uninitiated.

I could live with that, but I'd rather just have some kind of long-term
(stateless) cookie that suggests to the site that I want to be logged in.

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 13:39:31 -0500

Hi Micheal -

We did tune memcached quite some time back, and that isn't the issue. 
memcached at the moment (up for 10 days or so) no evictions at all (so 
we're probably a bit overprovisioned).

I have seen logouts myself (one today), but not at an every day rate.

We're looking into what else might be going on that could be causing this.

RjS

On 6/23/20 10:23 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:
> ___________________________________________________________
> Tools-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss
>
> Please report datatracker.ietf.org and mailarchive.ietf.org
> bugs at http://tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb
> or send email to [email-masked]
>
> Please report tools.ietf.org bugs at
> http://tools.ietf.org/tools/issues
> or send email to [email-masked]

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 17:48:24 +0200

Hi Michael,

I've identified the point where sessions are lost: with the current session
storage, it happens when we deploy a new datatracker release.  I've fixed
this for the upcoming release.  There will be one more instance of session
loss when that release is deployed, but going forward sessions should
survive both httpd restarts and deployment of new datatracker releases.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 11:21:12 -0500

The releases line up with when I'd observed with being logged out.

Note that there have been quite a few deployed this month: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/release/

That's not enough to explain being logged out every day, but it is 
enough to explain at least my perception that it was happening alot.

Michael - if you continue to see a high rate of being logged out, please 
let us know (but I'm expecting you won't).

RjS

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 21:39:26 -0400

> That's not enough to explain being logged out every day, but it is enough to
    > explain at least my perception that it was happening alot.

So it could be that I find myself logged out on laptop and then the next day
logged out on desktop (due to the same server restart).  It is also possible
that I go a few days with the same tab open, reading something.

    > Michael - if you continue to see a high rate of being logged out, please let
    > us know (but I'm expecting you won't).

Thank you!