Subject: [Tools-discuss] Strange IDnits behavior (or is it something else?)

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 21:44:17 -0500

I'm working on a draft and getting some weird behavior when running IDnits
and trying to submit the draft.

In IDnits, I'm getting

  -- The document date (January 2021) is 170 days in the future.  Is this
     intentional?

and that seems to be the Expiration date in the draft (so, I'm confused).

I'm also getting

  -- Unexpected draft version: The latest known version of
     draft-irtf-panrg-questions is -04, but you're referring to -05.

but the datatracker DOES have
https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-irtf-panrg-questions-05.txt

I thought I should let someone know.

Best,

Spencer

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 05:37:03 +0200

On 2020-07-30, at 04:44, Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I'm working on a draft and getting some weird behavior when running IDnits and trying to submit the draft. 
> 
> In IDnits, I'm getting 
> 

Yes, I am seeing this behavior for my v3 drafts.

> but the datatracker DOES have https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-irtf-panrg-questions-05.txt

It seems the idnits downloading and caching approach is somewhat brittle…
Idnits is an amazing script held together by spit and scotch tape.
I think it is waiting for a full rewrite… 
Until then, it will stay a little quirky.

Grüße, Carsten