Subject: [Tools-discuss] Serving markdown as text/markdown ➔ mojibake

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 16:42:06 +0200

I get mojibake in https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/interim-2020-maprg-01/agenda/agenda-interim-2020-maprg-01-sessa-00

It seems browsers (tested with Safari and Chrome) assume Latin-1 for

$ curl -sI https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/interim-2020-maprg-01/agenda/agenda-interim-2020-maprg-01-sessa-00 | grep -i content-type:
content-type: text/markdown

https://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/text/markdown says:

 Required parameters:

  charset: Per Section 4.2.1 of [RFC6838], charset is REQUIRED. There
    is no default value because neither [MDSYNTAX] nor many popular
    implementations at the time of this registration do either.
    [MDSYNTAX] clearly describes Markdown as a "writing format"; its
    syntax rules operate on characters (specifically, on punctuation)
    rather than code points. Many Markdown processors will get along
    just fine by operating on characters in the US-ASCII repertoire
    (specifically punctuation), blissfully oblivious to other
    characters or codes.

Please change 

content-type: text/markdown
into
content-type: text/markdown; charset=utf-8

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Tom Pusateri <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 11:29:19 -0400

> On Aug 4, 2020, at 10:42 AM, Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

I will look at this one.

Tom

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2020 11:15:44 -0500

This was an apache tweak rather than a datatracker change (as it was at 
www.ietf.org).

The tweak has been made.

RjS

On 8/4/20 10:29 AM, Tom Pusateri wrote:
> ___________________________________________________________
> Tools-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss
>
> Please report datatracker.ietf.org and mailarchive.ietf.org
> bugs at http://tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb
> or send email to [email-masked]
>
> Please report tools.ietf.org bugs at
> http://tools.ietf.org/tools/issues
> or send email to [email-masked]

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2020 18:48:25 +0200

> The tweak has been made.

Thank you!

Grüße, Carsten