Subject: [Tools-team] Tools teleconference minutes 11 Aug 2004

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 02:10:22 +0200

Hi,

	Below are brief minutes from the TOOLS teleconf.
Please comment if I have missed something.

Some of the action items don't have names - you're
welcome to pick up one or more items.

	Henrik

--------------------------------------------------------------

1. Agenda bashing

	Henrik wanted to add some questions regarding IETF
	servers, and the question of setting up
	a second public mailing list and web page for the
	team.

	Alex mentioned an additional tool class under 3.d,
	tools for WGs-to-be and BOFs, which are not yet
	chartered but might benefit from some tools nevertheless.

	Harald wanted to add a point regarding handling of
	feedback on, and improvement of, existing tools.

2. Comments on summary from Lunch meeting in San Diego

	No comments.

2.a Questions:

    * Access to ietf servers?
	Harald: Only sftp access has ever been given out,
	no shell accounts.  So we should probably go
	for a delegated domain for the tools page.

    * Will the ietf servers be moved over physically, or will
      new servers be set up, and content moved over?
	Not clear at this point, a matter of negotiation.

    * If we put the tools pages on tools.ietf.org, who can
      provide a server?  Harald has one tiny, Alex could
      provide hardware and T1 line but lacks experience in
      running one, Henrik has one with dual processors, dual
      power supply and raid disks.  It was decided to have
      Henrik host this for now, we can move it later if a
      better possibility appears.  Henrik will set up shell
      accounts and a web server area for the tools team to
      work in.

    * Mailing lists.  Do we want an additional tools-discuss
      mailing list?  Yes.  This should be an open list, as
      opposed to [email-masked] which is closed.  (The
      [email-masked] archives should however be publicly
      accessible).

3. First Steps - going over what we need to do first.  After
    some discussion we had mentioned the following steps:

	* Start creating an inverntory of needed tools, grouped:
		a. Secretariat - Community interface
		b. WGs
		c. Authors
		d. Pre - WG

	* Solicit input from the community on the tools-discuss list.
	  Note that we the coming 6 months or so primarily will focus
	  on tools for the interface between secretariat and community.
	  We will make this clear when soliciting community input, but
	  need to be prepared to get ideas and proposals also for other
	  tools.

	* Solicit requirements from the secretariat on their side
	  of the requirements

	* Identify common tool components

	* Identify interfaces between tools, so they are accessible
	  by other tools, not only by humans

	* Make sure that we have a reasonable data model for the
  	  tools we see coming, so we're not building on quicksand

	* Set down Requirements for ID-submission tool
		- Solicit secretariat's req's
		- Formulate community req's
		- Make sure there is reasonable tool interfaces
		- Make sure there is a reasonable data model

	* Prioritisation of tools to be handled after
		- Secretariat wants WG scheduling tool
		- ...

     What about handling of maintenance and improvements for
     existing tools?

	* Make a list of tools regarded as existing tools

	* Request community input on such tools on the
  	  tools-discuss mailing list.  These are not
	  necessarily the specific tool "Mailman", but rather such as
			Mailing list management in general
			Reminders to Chairs of passed milestone
			The Meeting Registration page
	  - and others - we should try to cover both more and less
	  obvious tools now in use.

	* Preferrably put these, and known issues with them, up on a
	  wike.

     The secretariat's own list of tools are here, FYI:
     https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/show_tasks.cgi?mode=all

     How long will we take to put together a draft of tools and common
     components, and one on the ID-tracker requirements?

	In 3 weeks: draft of requirements and draft of needed tools out
		for review by the community.
	In 5 weeks - have community comments collected and worked into
		the requirements, hand over requirements to secretariat

4. Any other business
	
	The mailing list and web server questions scheduled here were
	handled under point 2.a above.

5. Action items:

	Alex 	will start the ID-submission tool draft.

	???	A volunteer is needed for the Tools inventory,
		common components and prioritisation draft.

	Henrik	will mail secretariat re. subdomain delegation

	Henrik	will set up shell accounts and web area on his server

	Henrik	will request creation of "[email-masked]" list

	Henrik	will solicit requirements from the secretariat
		for the ID-submission tool

	???	will start to put together a summary of existing tools,
		so we have it in hand when we announce the discuss list
		and solicit input on new and current tools.

	Alex	will re-initialise the discussion on the
		[email-masked] list, as a continuation of the
		discussion about needed tools, components, requirements
		etc which was started before IETF-60, but temporarily
		put on hold.

	???	As soon as we get the tools-discuss list up, draft an
		announcement to be sent on (my proposal here, should
		there be more/others?) these lists:
			ietf-announce
			wg-chairs
		(I'm not sure if this will happen before next meeting.)

6. Next meeting:

	Teleconference Wednesday 18 Aug, same time as today, same codes.
	Stas will assist people who wish to connect using SIP.

_______________________________________________
Tools-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-team