Subject: [Tools-team] draft-ietf-tools-notification-03.txt

From: stanislav shalunov <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Feb 2005 16:11:11 -0500

The current version of the Requirements for Document Notification
Service document, draft-ietf-tools-notification-03.txt, has the
following remaining work items:

* The representation of an event as a 9-tuple (and of a list of events)
  in RSS (and Atom) needs to be defined (sections 7.2 and 7.3).

* Phases of tool development need to be described (section 9).

* The way to protect IETF mailing list from being unsubscribed from
  email notifications by mailing list subscribers needs to be worked
  out (section 10).

I would like some input from the team on these issues.

                RSS and Atom representation of events

I especially need your input and help on this one.

- can the same element names for custom fields (document tag, etc.) be
  used to in RSS and Atom?

- which of the members of the event tuple have standard element names?

                      Phases of tool development

It would seem to me that the first implementation should only do the
easy parts and leave the more difficult parts for later.  The
information that can be automatically obtained from the I-D
repository, the I-D tracker, and the public representation of the RFC
editor queue without much magic are easy; the rest is hard.

So, we'd have two phases of development.  Does this plan seem right?

                  Third-party-managed subscriptions

A mechanism is needed for a WG chair to subscribe the WG list to
notifications in such a way that WG list subscribers can't alter.
Should this be a special case?  How is WG chair authentication
handled?  Do we punt by saying that human interaction is required?  Do
we include this functionality in the first phase?

-- 
Stanislav Shalunov		http://www.internet2.edu/~shalunov/

"You wake me up early in the morning to tell me I am right?  Please
wait until I am wrong."	-- John von Neumann, on being phoned at 10 a.m.

_______________________________________________
Tools-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-team