Subject: [Tools-team] draft-ietf-tools-draft-info-01.txt

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 00:41:55 +0100

Hi Alex,

    I've gone through the draft, and noted down some comments.

The draft text with comments inline are here:

http://ietf.levkowetz.com/tools/rfcmarkup/rfcmarkup.cgi?url=../../reviews/review-ietf-tools-draft-info-01.txt&comments=HENRIK

I've extracted the comments and included them below, too, but find
the webpage format more accessible...

	Henrik

---------------------------------------------------------------------

 HENRIK: In addition to the inline comments, there's one thing I miss:
 	A defined XML schema in some form (Relax-NG, by example, or
 	whatever) in which the information defined here has to be
        provided.

Section 3., para. 1:

    The document scope is a single Internet-Draft, including multiple
    versions and formats of the same draft.  Requirements cover
    submitted, posted, published, expired, and unknown personal or
    Working Group drafts.
 HENRIK: s/Requirements/The requirements/

Section 4., para. 1:

    The following terms are to be interpreted according to their
    definitions below.  [[XXX2: Should we just refer to
    draft-ietf-tools-draft-submission, which has the same definitions?
    --Alex]]
 HENRIK: Nope. There isn't that many of these, no problem repeating the
 	information here.
 
 HENRIK: I'd propose a simpler intro, something like:
     "Here follows definitions for some terms which are frequently used in
      this document."

Section 4., para. 2:
    posted draft: A draft accepted into public IETF draft repository and,
       hence, publicly available on IETF web site.
 HENRIK: s/IETF/the IETF/

Section 4., para. 6:
    WG draft: A draft which identifier (a.k.a.  filename) is known and
       starts with "draft-ietf-".
 HENRIK: Maybe s/A draft which/A draft for which the/  (if this definition
 	stays...)

Section 4., para. 7:
    individual draft: A draft other than a WG draft.
 HENRIK: Depending on what is actually meant, the above two definitions may
 	need changing.  However, more to the point may be that a grep
 	didn't find any of these terms later in the document ...

Section 5., para. 4:
 HENRIK: Maybe add these sources:
 	* IETF list of current and expired drafts:
 	  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/all_id.txt: Provides draft
 	  name, version, date, status. Format: tab-separated text
 	* IETF index of active drafts:
 	  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/1id-index.txt: Provides
 	  title, authors, date, name and wg for active drafts. Format:
 	  Free-form text.
 	* IETF abstracts from active drafts:
 	  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/1id-abstracts.txt: Provides
 	  title, authors, date, name, abstract and wg for active drafts.
 	  Format: Free-form text.
 
    o  Henrik Levkowetz "Workgroup draft pages" [3]: Provides draft name,
       date, all draft versions, diffs, nits, various draft formats, and
       last call information.  Format: XHTML.

Section 5., para. 6:
 HENRIK: Better replace both of the above with the more comprehensive
 	resource at http://tools.ietf.org/wg/ now.
 
    o  Potaroo Internet Drafts
 		Repository [5]: Provides draft name,
       date, author names, WG name, abstract.  Includes expired drafts.
       Format: HTML.

Section 6., para. 7:
    In addition to the above information, a "notify me when this draft
    changes" functionality should eventually be supported.  It may also
    be useful to supplement the above data with a pointer to the "IESG
    draft discussion" tracking page, especially for drafts already
    submitted for publication.  Details of these features are outside of
    this document scope.
 HENRIK: Maybe it's not necessary to go into this as we're working on the
 	event notification draft currently

Section 6.1, para. 1:
    Draft identifier is a string that uniquely identifies any IETF draft
    regardless of version or status.  At the time of writing, draft name
    can be used as an identifier, but implementations must not rely on
    that being the case.  For example, future implementations may be able
    to keep the same identifier for a draft that changes ownership from
    individual to WG.
 HENRIK: Umm - a case could be made for that indeed being the same draft,
 	then...

Section 6.2, para. 8:
    o  "obsoletes X" or "renamed to Y" information
 HENRIK: "obsoletes X" is right if "X" is a draft - but there may be more
 	meta-information here:
 	* Obsoletes RFC NNNN (if approved and published)
 	* Updates RFC NNNN (if approved and published)
 
 HENRIK: add:  o Abstract

Section 6.2, para. 9:
    Draft metadata applies to the draft as a whole rather than specific
    draft version.  Nevertheless, it is based on the latest draft version
    and, hence, may change with draft revisions.  For example, the title
    may be extracted from the latest draft version.
 HENRIK: s/than specific/than a specific/

Section 6.2, para. 11:
    [[XXX3: If we explicitly list title, should we also list abstract?
    Moreover, should we list any fields that are meant-to-be extractable
    from the latest draft version? --Alex]]
 HENRIK: Abstract is already provided as meta-data in the 1id-abstract.txt
 	file, so it makes sense to include it.  As for other fields - we'd
 	have to do that on a case-by-case judgment, I think.  Any specific
 	ones you were thinking of?

Section 6.3, para. 0:
 HENRIK: There's more here:
 	Major status is either:
 	* Active
 	* Expired
 	* Published
 	* Replaced
 	* Withdrawn
 
 	In Active and Expired, there may also be a minor status (which may
 	have sub-states); one of these:
 	- AD Evaluation
 	- AD is watching
 	- Approved-announcement sent
 	- Approved-announcement to be sent
 	- DNP-waiting for AD note
 	- Dead
 	- Expert Review
 	- IESG Evaluation
 	- In Last Call
 	- Publication Requested
 	- RFC Ed Queue
 	- Waiting for AD Go-Ahead
 	- Waiting for Writeup
 
 	In Published, there is supplementary information: the RFC number.
 	In Replaced, there is supplementary information: the Replacement.
 
 6.3  Draft versions

Section 6.5, para. 1:
    Draft events information includes a list of all issued IETF events
    associated with the draft.  This document does not define an IETF
    event interface, but typical entries might include "new draft version
    available" and "WG last call issued".
 HENRIK: Add details about what is included in this.  At least, I think:
 	* Date of event
 	* Old State
 	* New State
 	* Originator of state change
 	* Supplementary / explanatory notes

_______________________________________________
Tools-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-team