Subject: [Tools-team] Minutes from the 24 August 2005 Telechat

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:10:50 +0200

Hi,

Here are the minutes from today's meeting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Agenda bashing

	None

2. Welcome to new tools team member, Jeroen Massar
	Background: http://unfix.org/~jeroen/cv/ , see especially the
 	projects section which lists a number of interesting tools -
	IP and Routing related and others.

	Now busy with sixxs, getting a US box up next week;
	otherwise performance profiling programs.
	Have developed some code/protocols/hw for monitoring
	very busy networks.
	Lots of IPv6 stuff.

	Tools interest: Generally the kind of tools needed for
	the IETF, have done useful notification stuff.  Could
	help out with a notification tool, a lot of people would
	benefit from this.

3. Chat with the new IAD, Ray, if he is able to join us

	No Ray today.

4. IETF-63:
	* Dashboard meeting - outcome:  It turns out that providing
	  this seems to be well aligned with other planned tools work.
	  Components needed include
	  - Event extraction (from mail, ID-tracker, repositories, etc.)
	  - Event database, with events available in XML format,
	    feeding into a visualisation tool.  This can also just as
	    well feed into the notification tool we have on our list.
	  - Queue visualisation tool.  This will provide queue length
	    and volume information not only for the dashboard, but
	    also for the individual WG and Draft status pages.
	  - The dashboard overlay, which brings above components
	    together.

	  Comments:

	    Would be good to have a version up before the full thing
	    goes public - maybe with faked data, or with data from
	    -00 to publication approved.  That way people can comment
	    on it, say whether it provides what they need and expect.

	    It is expected that the first version of the tool will
	    be restricted to the IAD/IESG/IAB, but after a period
	    of use (3-6 months?) the intention is to make it public.
	    Will have to see if a version with only -00 to Publication
	    approved can be shown earlier.

	* IANA meeting

	  No Bill here - report next time?

5. Status review

   Charter items:

      * ID submission tool				Dec 2004
	Specification DONE (Alex)

      * WG Meeting tool (scheduler, agendas, ... ) 	Mar 2005
	Prototype design I/P (Donald)

	- Note from Brian received asking for immediate simple
	  input to a front end.  Will send it on for comments.

      * Draft status pages (revs, diffs, comments)	Mar 2005
	Prototype EXISTS
	Specification draft I/P (Alex)

	- Alex hopes to start working on the draft next week.

      * Notification services (RSS, mail notification)	Aug 2005
	Draft I/P, Event extraction I/P (Stas), 
	Prototype to be started (Jeroen)

	- Henrik will send a first cut at XML format to Jeroen
	  and the list.

      * Meta-information publication 			Aug 2005
	XML Schema draft I/P, Event extraction I/P
	(Henrik)

	- Henrik hopes to have stable XML format data available
	  by next IETF meeting

      * Guidelines for improving usability of the	 Q3 2005 
	IETF web site
	Trial design I/P (Andrew)

	- Henrik to ping Andrew, to see how we're doing

      * Html-ized WG agendas				 Q3 2005
	Prototype EXISTS

      * WG Status update web interface			 Q4 2005 

	- Will not happen until Neustar contract is in place

      * Publication request tool			 Q4 2005 

	- Will not happen until Neustar contract is in place

      * WG Pages with WG tools, provided to all WGs	 Q4 2005
	Some work I/P - Wiki and chair tools coming soon
	(Henrik)

	- Secondary priority for Henrik, after the Dashboard

      * A tool in support of 3rd party reviews and	 Q4 2005 
	Last Call comments (extension to I-D tracker?)	

	- Will not happen until Neustar contract is in place

      * I-D tracker extended for use by Chairs		 Q1 2006 

	- Will not happen until Neustar contract is in place

      * Web interface to set up 'WG Pages' for BOFs 	 Q1 2006 

	- Comes after the WG pages with WG tools

   Non-charter items:

      * A calendar tool, providing iCalendar compliant
	calendar files, updated to match the agenda of 
	the current IETF meeting. (Based on scripts from
	Eliot Lear and Bill Fenner.)

        - Comment:  Actually, this would integrate well with a more
	  general Dashboard concept, which any IETFer could set up
	  to show the information he wanted, and provide the tools
	  he would be interested in.  A simple email-me-a-password
	  authentication of the email address may suffice to prevent
	  abuse, and also prevent us for having to set up more formal
	  user registration and authentication.  Could be seen as a
	  unified interface for:

		Notification services
		WG tools
		WG status pages
		Document flow dashboard
		Calendar services
		...

      * A tool which will show all drafts currently in
	IETF last call (Spin off of event extraction work)

      * A one-click RFC access page (from Simon Leinen)

      * Stable references for drafts
	Prototype EXISTS, but not published
	http://tools.ietf.org/id/

	- Henrik to check with Brian on how to move forward with
	  this.

6. Any other business

	None.

7. Next meeting:

  Teleconference Wednesday 7 Sep, 16:00 GMT (same local time 
  as today).

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Connection details:

To join the call, dial +1-734-615-7474 and enter PIN 0151989.

One can also join the call by dialling:
 sip:[email-masked] 
on a SIP-enabled voice communications client. 

If the SIP client cannot dial URLs, you can have the conference
system call you if you have the sip URL for your phone.  Go to
 https://edial.internet2.edu/call/0151989
and type in the URL to your phone, and follow the directions.

_______________________________________________
Tools-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-team

_______________________________________________
Tools-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-team