Subject: [Tools-team] Dashboard/notification tool prototype

From: Jeroen Massar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 16:26:54 +0200

Hi,

I wanted to show you guys a prototype of the notifications tools during
the upcoming call, though unfortunately a virus hit me during the
weekend making me unable to finish it up to at least a usable state.

Thus, to have something to discuss, I'll describe (no ppt's from me ;)
what it is and how it works and mostly what one will be able to do:

Basically I now have a non-working prototype of a website, which gives
one a personalized overview of a all the area's, wg's and the documents
that each draft contains including possiblity to set notification items.

A user is able to signup using one (or multiple) email addresses, these
mail addresses then map to an entity. Such an entity could be a 'person'
or a 'role' (/group), as such the "Tools Team" would be a role entity
with multiple email id's attached which make up this entity. One email
address can be associated with multiple entities and at login or using a
switch one will be able to pick which entity you want to be. This allows
the entity to be used for ACL's and still keep your personal view as
your own person entity allowing one to follow personal interrests but
also to do another role.

A user then is subscribed to documents/wg's/area's that person is
interrested in. For each doc/wg/area one can specify notifications.
Broad ones like "notify for anything that happens here" and things like
"new document in wg X", "new wg started in area Y", "document last call
for document Z" etc. Regexps could even help out in allowing people to
get notifications about all kinds of documents matching a certain title.

The 'home' page of a user will thus be an overview of all the
subscriptions that a user made. The site also is going to have full
knowledge about all existing wg's/areas/docs so users can select it.
The tools we already have can easily be integrated in that site
structure by linking to them in an automated way.

When then an event comes in over Henrik's event notification mechanism,
the backend of the site matches all the subscriptions that want
information about it and notifies these users using the methods they
specified. Currently I've added possibilities for
irc/jabber/icq/msn/yahoo (abusing bitlbee) and email. One could then
also, per subscription, select for diff's, xml markup and other modes
which we can add later on.
An event also causes the backend to log this information. Thus when you
go on vacation you simply disable events, after coming back, you enable
them again and request a list of  what events that you are subscribed to
where supposed to be triggered during that period, or any period
actually.

Toys used to build this up: php backend, code in classes which can be
called from the 'web' and from commandline. Currently a mysql database.
Bitlbee for the IM notification part, thus simply abusing IRC to
interface with them all.

Technically indeed we could even create a jabber/IM based control
channel next to the web one, eg "diff draft-bla-01 draft-bla-02" calling
existing tools to do the actual work.

This most likely sounds all a bit strange or big, just ask me to clarify
in a few. I'll try to get a working version online during the coming few
days, it's mostly a typing+time thing.

Greets,
 Jeroen

_______________________________________________
Tools-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-team