Subject: Re: [Tools-team] Minutes from the 5 October Teleconference

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 18:50:47 -0700

Sorry for missing today's call.  We had to have our septic system
diagnosed and the guy came right at 8:55 so I had to spend time
with him :-(

>	Will anything we do now be able
>	to stay organised, or do we need to go to some simple off-the
>	shelf software to give structure to the site?  

I've been playing with plone for an ietf.org site; it's a *much*
heavier-weight thing than we've been talking about but I really
like it for
a) distributed authoring - Brian has /u/ietfchair but it'd be
nice if that was less segregated.
b) not having to know HTML to create pages - Kupu is a pretty
nice editor (but doesn't work in Safari yet :-(
c) Keeping the structure seperate from the content, as the navigation
  tree and top tabs

  Bill

_______________________________________________
Tools-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-team

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 10:29:46 -0400

> heavier-weight thing than we've been talking about but I really

This was the sort of alternative answer I was thinking about (I'd
likely argue for something other than plone, but that's just a
detail).

> nice if that was less segregated.

This is one of the precise problems I think we have, and I wonder
whether the NeuStar staff will really be able to address it.  But my
understanding now is that that's Not Our Problem -- it's going to be
theirs, and if they think they _can't_ handle it, well, they can pick
a management system at that point.

> nice editor (but doesn't work in Safari yet :-(

This one I'm less worried about, except in the context of (a).  That
is, the problem isn't that anyone's favourite HTML editor won't
produce perfectly good HTML; but we'll be back to everyone with their
own flavour, and site consistency will quickly end up back where we
are.

A

----
Andrew Sullivan                         204-4141 Yonge Street
Afilias Canada                        Toronto, Ontario Canada
<[email-masked]>                              M2P 2A8
                                        +1 416 646 3304 x4110

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 20:03:47 -0700

>own flavour, and site consistency will quickly end up back where we

Plone embeds the user's HTML inside the navigation & other stuff that
it generates, so however it's done this isn't an issue.  For example,
the source for http://rtg.ietf.org/ simply starts

<p>Welcome to the IETF Routing Area web page! This site is meant to
contain general Routing Area information, as well as per-working group

and plone renders the logo, search box, navigation, news, etc. around
it - so users don't have to be consistent when editing pages, the part
that it's important to be consistent is handled completely by the CMS..

There's also StructuredText, which is a wikilike plain-text markup,
and for lots of purposes people can just write regular old text text.

  Bill

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 07:29:54 -0400

> it generates, so however it's done this isn't an issue.  For example,

Right; that's the advantage of a CMS (of any kind).  But it seems
that others think that's too heavyweight.

A

-- 
----