Subject: [Tools-team] Web site update proposal

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 16:28:39 -0500

Hello all,

First, my apologies for not making the last two meetings.  I've been
dealing with the occasional emergency around here, and unfortunately,
since my boss and I comprise the entire "team" at the moment in our
little area, I haven't been able to say no.

That said, I've managed to address (I think) Henrik's comments, and
have updated the test site to cover the front page and the Overview
section.  Everything else is incomplete, but I think this gives at
least an idea of how this can proceed.

I have to say that editing all the pages is something of a pain in
the neck.  I think that, if NeuStar or whoever is going to do this
with a minimum of fuss, they're going to need to write a little
program to parse the existing pages, and strip off some of the
presentation stuff and covert it to conformant xhtml.  Alternatively,
just running it through tidy does wonders.  

My experience with doing this while in no way engaged in webby type
things makes me think, more than ever, that ultimately some sort of
content management system is going to be the only answer.

Any additional thoughts, &c., are welcome.  We will not have, I'm
sure, a complete demo site for the Dallas meeting, but I think
there's enough here to show and tell.  Do others agree?

A
-- 
----
Andrew Sullivan                         204-4141 Yonge Street
Afilias Canada                        Toronto, Ontario Canada
<[email-masked]>                              M2P 2A8
                                        +1 416 646 3304 x4110

_______________________________________________
Tools-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-team

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 14:28:32 +0100

Hi Andrew,

> little area, I haven't been able to say no.

Yes.  I know how it can be.

> least an idea of how this can proceed.

Ok.  I'd like the menubar to take up a bit less room; I've tweaked
it a little bit - have a look at http://www1.tools.ietf.org/demo/www.ietf.org
now and see what you think.

> just running it through tidy does wonders.  

Yes, and yes.

> content management system is going to be the only answer.

Well, I'm not so sure of that, still.  But it's ultimately up to the
maintainers, I'd say.

> there's enough here to show and tell.  Do others agree?

I think this is a good start.

	Henrik

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 10:47:27 -0500

> now and see what you think.

Works for me.  Probably the css needs to be bumped a touch to make
the maincontent div line up a little better -- I noticed some jaggies
while I was preparing this, in particular while resizing windows --
but that also seems to me to be the sort of cosmetic fiddling that
the maintainers are going to want to do anyway.

Thanks for your comments.

A