Subject: [Tools-team] Minutes from the 19 April 2006 Teleconference

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 18:50:42 +0200

Hi,

Here are the minutes from today's meeting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

0. Present: Henrik, Tero, Stas

   Regrets: Alex

1. Agenda bashing and comments on previous minutes

	Nothing

2. Status review

   * Dashboard
	- Henrik

	No progress

   * Issue trackers, Wiki
	- Henrik

   * Review team support tool
	- Tero

	Have something which will pull information from the 

	Missing information from the all_id.txt file is the
	date of last change - it would be good if we could
	get that information.

	Henrik: one possibility would be the database dumps
	we are getting - we could use that to reconstruct
	the database if needed, or extract the information
	needed directly from the dump.

	Stas: do you know what the format of the database is?
	- it would be nice if we could get instant notifications
	rather than once a day updates...
	Henrik: nope, sorry

	Tero: But this wouldn't make a big difference for the
	review support tool.

	Henrik: Check out the data base dumps on shiraz under
	/home/ietf/dump/ - they're in csv format.

	Tero: Hope to have something that we can start to use
	in 2 weeks or so.

   * Draft info draft
	- Alex

	No progress.

   * Meta-information schema
	- Stas

	Bad news: Was distracted by an invitation to participate
	in Google's summer of code, so have made no progress on
	my task...

	Good news: Since we will have a few students and infra-
	structure, it might be an idea to post a few possible
	projects and see if any of the students would apply...

3. Any other business:

	Google Summer of Code proposal:

	Don't know about the quality of work, but last year it
	was quite high, and we got quite a bit accomplished.
	Best would be if we could present the students with a
	sufficiently closed project - not completely open-ended,
	and sufficiently well-described deliverables.

	We could either let Internet2 be the mentoring organization,
	or could make Tools-Team the mentoring organization.  For
	the first, the advantage is that it's already in place,
	for the second case is that it requires Google to say 'yes'.

	Last year, out of 10 people we had 2 failures, and one was
	not because of lack of time of the mentor.  But we need
	mentor time.

	Tero: Not too many projects, as we may not have enough
	mentors....

	Stas: Last year the relationship was closer to a research
	advisor, rather than very hands-on -- they are supposed
	to be good enough to work on their own.  And it was
	sufficiently successful.

	Potential mentors:
		* Henrik - 1 or 2 students.

		Not Stas (except for maybe general notes going
			out to all students at Internet2)

		Probably not Tero - not available during all of
		the summer.

		? Anybody else?

	Action:  Define a few projects which would be both
		beneficial and interesting, send out of list.

4. Next meeting:

  Teleconference Wednesday 3rd of May, 16:00 GMT (same local time 
  as today).

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Connection details:

To join the call, dial +1-734-615-7474 and enter PIN 0151989.

One can also join the call by dialling:
 sip:[email-masked] 
on a SIP-enabled voice communications client. 

If the SIP client cannot dial URLs, you can have the conference
system call you if you have the sip URL for your phone.  Go to
 https://edial.internet2.edu/call/0151989
and type in the URL to your phone, and follow the directions.

_______________________________________________
Tools-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-team

---

From: stanislav shalunov <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Apr 2006 13:11:14 -0400

> 	for the second case is that it requires Google to say 'yes'.

We could put a project description through Internet2 and sponsor a
student this way.

If we have the ability to mentor many students through people not on
the call today, it would make sense to apply for the IETF or the Tools
team to be a mentoring organization on its own right.  I expect that
it would be easier to get a positive answer if we get permission to
apply on behalf and in the recognizable name of the IETF rather than
as a more obscure and smaller entity.

I'm not sure when is the deadline to apply, but it seems to be no
later than May 1.

-- 
Stanislav Shalunov		http://www.internet2.edu/~shalunov/

This message is designed to be viewed with 0.06479891g of NaCl.