Subject: [Tools-team] Google summer of code - tools team participation?

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:18:46 +0200

During the tools team call today, Stas had an interesting suggestion:

Get the tools work to benefit from the Google 'Summer of Code'
with one or a few projects.  (Ref: http://code.google.com/soc/)

There would be two possible ways to do this:

A. Apply for the IETF tools team to be a mentoring organization,
   and provide a few projects (as many as we can provide mentors
   for), or

B. Submit a project to Internet2, which is already a mentoring
   organization, and provide mentoring under Internet2's umbrella.

Alternative A has the advantage of being able to run more than a
single project (Internet2, having only a fixed number of projects
to run, don't want to have them *all* doing tools-team work) --
but also has the drawback that we need to apply and be approved as
a mentoring organization, and need to provide more mentors.

Alternative B has the benefit that we won't have the added overhead
of applying to be a mentoring organization, and we'll have one round
of 'Summer of Code' to learn the ropes, at a limited investment in
mentoring.

In either case, we need the following (and please, if you have
input on either of these, reply now - we need to act fairly fast
on this).

  0. Agreement that its a good idea to participate with one or more
     projects in the Summer of Code.  (Henrik thinks yes.)

	Brian?  Ray?

  1. Good project ideas.  Please submit ideas.  The students have
     3 months to work on the projects (between May 23 and Aug. 21)
     including startup time.  Once we agree on project(s), note that
     they need to be written up and submitted, either via Internet2
     or as part of a mentoring organization application.  Deadline:
     May 1st, 17:00 PDT.

	(I thought one idea could be the notification tool.
	 It seems to have an appropriate size and can be judged well
	 on success or failure, I think.)

  2. Mentors.  Please indicate if you would be willing to act as a
     mentor for a tools-team project under the Google Summer of Code.

 	(Henrik is up for mentoring 1 student.  Other?)

  3. If sufficient interest (responses to 1. and 2. above):
     Handling the application for Mentoring Organization status,
     and handling the administrative contacts with Google under
     the program.

Thoughts, comments?

	Henrik

_______________________________________________
Tools-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-team

---

From: stanislav shalunov <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Apr 2006 01:41:15 -0400

I wanted to point out that the time is very short.  The application
period for student proposals opens May 1.  There's a rush of student
browsing in the beginning, so missing the opening date might mean that
we miss many (most?) students' attention.

-- 
Stanislav Shalunov		http://www.internet2.edu/~shalunov/

.signature: I/O Error

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:12:44 +0200

>      projects in the Summer of Code.  (Henrik thinks yes.)

Very honest reply: I don't have time to look into it enough to
have an opinion. From what you say, I'd go the Internet2 route
because otherwise I suspect you'd  experience overhead. FWIW
Internet2 and Google are both ISOC organizational members.
So take this as a No Objection ballot.

>  	(Henrik is up for mentoring 1 student.  Other?)

Sorry, absolutely no cycles.

    Brian