Subject: Re: #1311 Default value for the Archive header

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:07:47 -0700 (PDT)

Harald Alvestrand <harald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Suggested resolution: Replace last paragraph with:

   The presence of an Archive header field in an article with a field
   body of "no" indicates that the poster does not wish to permit
   redistribution from publicly accessible long-term or permanent archives.

When I use X-No-Archive: yes, the intent is not related to redistribution,
it is the archiving itself. My desire it to prohibit archiving in
long-term archives. (Long-term covers "permanent", does it not?)

---

From: "Forrest J. Cavalier III" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 16:50:49 -0400

> long-term archives. (Long-term covers "permanent", does it not?)

USEPRO has no mandatory language regarding this field, so
"not wish to permit" is about as meaningless as can be.

Maybe the true wanted meaning is closer to "wishes to not permit."

If you observe Usenet today, by volume, chances are the poster has no copyright 
interest in what they post without permission, so their permission to archive is 
humorous.

This discussion already happened, and ended in controversy, if I recall.  So, 
I'd suggest this....

Descriptive language belongs in USEPRO. For USEFOR, I think the least you can 
say is....

     The Archive header field indicates the poster's preference for long-term
     archiving.

And our grandchildren can nitpick this item again in USEPRO.

Is it April 2005 yet?