Subject: #1315 Definition of "poster"

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 00:58:44 -0700

Existing text in 1.5:

   A "poster" is the person or software that composes and submits a
   possibly compliant article to a "user agent".  The poster is
   analogous to an [RFC2822] author.

Discussion shows that analogy creates debate, and I don't see that it 
contributes anything.
Suggested resolution:

   A "poster" is the person or software that composes and submits a
   possibly compliant article to a "user agent".

Comments?

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 07:07:38 +0200

Harald Alvestrand wrote:

> The poster is analogous to an [RFC2822] author.
 [...]
> Discussion shows that analogy creates debate

That's also the case for mail (last seen in DKIM), and "what
does From: xyz mean" is an important detail.

> I don't see that it contributes anything.

It says that it's (almost) exactly the same mess as in mail.

 [new = truncated] 
> A "poster" is the person or software that composes and
> submits a possibly compliant article to a "user agent".

Does that explain the deserts of "Sender != Poster" ?  We need
it for Followup-To: poster among others, and then we want the
same behaviour as in mail:  Send replies to Reply-To if it's
there, otherwise send replies to one or more From-addresses,
don't use any Sender or Approved address not included in the
Reply-To / From.

IMO the mail analogy is helpful.  

Bye, Frank

---

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:29:48 -0700

> does From: xyz mean" is an important detail.

I'd rather keep the comparison, but don't have a strong opinion.

> same behaviour as in mail:

The "poster" in Followup-To: poster is not the same thing as the poster as
used elsewhere in the document.  "poster" in that case indicates the
Reply-To or From address, not the person making the post.

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 21:26:43 GMT

>Comments?

Well it could be weakened. '...to a "user agent" (cf. the term "author" in
[RFC2822]). But no big deal either way.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5