Subject: Re: #1313 Newsgroups and reserved characters

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 13:58:04 -0700 (PDT)

"Charles Lindsey" <chl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>There is not much point in your taking part in a discussion if you are
>going to ignore all the proposed changes that have been made and merely
>continue to rant about the unmodified text which people have already
>agreed needs to be changed.

First you deny there is a MUST in the section being discussed (when there 
are two of them), then you ignore that the MUST being discussed is the 
first of two, then you dismiss what you disagree with as a "rant" and tell 
me I have no business being part of the discussion.

I'm not the one not keeping up with the discussion, Charles.

>I would imagine that a poster who was a party to such a "private
>agreement" would have configured his user agent to indicate that was a
>valid group.

I seriously doubt that, since I know of NO configuration options in any of 
the newsreaders I have ever used that would tell it to accept a newsgroup
name that it otherwise would believe is invalid. This option is not going
to spring up overnight, especially in existing code.

No, the most likely scenario is the one I presented, where the agent
acts the same way no matter what we have said about it generating a 
component with + or -.

Justify the MUST or get rid of it.