Subject: #1311 Resolution: Default value for the Archive header

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 04:46:17 -0700

Current section text:

3.2.12.  Archive

   The Archive header field provides an indication of the poster's
   intent regarding preservation of the article in publicly accessible
   long-term or permanent storage.

   archive         =  "Archive:" SP [CFWS] ("no" / "yes")
                      *( [CFWS] ";" [CFWS] archive-param ) [CFWS] CRLF

   archive-param   =  parameter

   The presence of an Archive header field in an article with a field
   body of "no" indicates that the poster does not permit redistribution
   from publicly accessible long-term or permanent archives.  The
   absence of this header field, or the presence of this header field
   with a field body of "yes", indicates that the poster is willing for
   such redistribution to take place.  Further extensions to this
   standard may provide parameters for administration of the archiving
   process.

Suggested resolution: Replace last paragraph with:

   The presence of an Archive header field in an article with a field
   body of "no" indicates that the poster does not permit
   redistribution
   from publicly accessible long-term or permanent archives.
   A field body of "yes" indicates that the poster permits such
   redistribution.

   No parameters have been defined so far; if present, they can be
   ignored.

I think discussion showed that this is not the document to talk about 
interpretation of the absence of the header.

                     Harald

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:13:23 GMT

>interpretation of the absence of the header.

Fine, if the matter is addressed in USEAGE. Do you want a pointer to
USEAGE here?

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

---

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 13:04:06 -0400

> Fine, if the matter is addressed in USEAGE. Do you want a pointer to

Done.

-- 
Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer
Project Cyrus Developer/Maintainer
Carnegie Mellon University