Subject: #1299 Suggested resolution

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 15:18:19 -0700

Text as modified, to avoid a circular "generate" definition:

Add to 1.5:

Generate: An agent is said to "generate" a construct if it did not exist
before the agent created it. Examples are when an user agent creates
a message from text and addressing information supplied by an user, or
when a news server creates an "Injection-Info" header for a newly
posted message.

Accept: An agent is said to "accept" a construct if some other entity
generates it and passes it to the agent in question.

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 04:45:23 -0700

Charles Lindsey wrote:
> I think the intention of "accept" was that the agent in question would not
> explode if it was passed that construct. The wording above seems to imply
> that it was agent #1 that caused "accept"ance to happen, rather than agent
> #2.
>
> "Accept: An agent is said to "accept" a construct from some other entity if
> it receives and recognizes it."
>
> You might add something like "... processes or ignores it".
>   
I'll try ", and the agent processes it without treating it as a protocol 
error".

Accept:

An agent is said to "accept" a construct if some other entity
generates it and passes it to the agent in question, and the agent processes it without treating it as a protocol error.

But - my usual warning - we can go on polishing forever. Let's get -09 out the door.

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:11:30 GMT

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

---

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:30:50 -0400

Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> generates it and passes it to the agent in question, and the agent 
> processes it without treating it as a protocol error.

I changed the above to "... without treating it as a format or protocol 
error" in the draft, since this is the Usenet format draft.

-- 
Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer
Project Cyrus Developer/Maintainer
Carnegie Mellon University

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:26:10 GMT

>error" in the draft, since this is the Usenet format draft.

Yes, that is better.

Once you have accepted it as not being a format error, then USEPRO should
tell you what, if anything, you are supposed to do with it next.

If we find a situation where USEFOR says you MUST/SHOULD/MAY accept
something, and then USEPRO fails to tell you what to do with it, then that
would be a bug in USEPRO. We need to watch out for those, but I am not
aware of any such cases.