Subject: #1336 Expires field semantics

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 05:23:58 -0700

Suggested change:

   The Expires header field specifies a date and time when the poster
   deems the article to be no longer relevant and could usefully be
   removed ("expired").

   NOTE: This is most useful when the poster desires an unusually long
   or an unusually short expiry time.

Let's not get into the interactions with local policy here.

---

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 09:43:26 -0700

> Let's not get into the interactions with local policy here.

Looks good to me.

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 08:33:57 +0200

>> Let's not get into the interactions with local policy here.

+1.  Later (not in USEFOR) we should say something about the
relation between Expires and X-No.  Even if it's only "don't know".

Frank

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:39:17 GMT

>Let's not get into the interactions with local policy here.

Maybe s/desires/recommends/.

And maybe s/most//.

But if people want to omit the NOTE entirely, I can live with that, since
it will be in USEAGE anyway.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5