Subject: #1315 Definition of "poster"

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 05:04:29 -0700

Existing text in 1.5:

   A "poster" is the person or software that composes and submits a
   possibly compliant article to a "user agent".  The poster is
   analogous to an [RFC2822] author.

Suggested resolution:

   A "poster" is the person or software that composes and submits a
   possibly compliant article to a "user agent".

I think discussion (all 3 messages of it) showed this to be reasonable.

---

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 09:43:04 -0700

> I think discussion (all 3 messages of it) showed this to be reasonable.

Seems fine to me.

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 08:42:10 +0200

Harald Alvestrand wrote:
 
> A "poster" is the person or software that composes and
> submits a possibly compliant article to a "user agent".

Maybe add "operator of" before "software", IIRC we need
"poster" as "human with a mailbox" later.

Frank

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:36:21 GMT

>"poster" as "human with a mailbox" later.

I don't think you need to be that specific. Any piece of software that
generates anything needs to be set up to cope with whatever bounces or
email responses may come its way. It the implementor believes that it is
OK not to forward it to a human, then that is up to him (and if he is
wrong, then it is his problem).

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

---

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 13:25:45 -0400

>   possibly compliant article to a "user agent".

I changed "possibly" to "potentially" in the draft.

-- 
Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer
Project Cyrus Developer/Maintainer
Carnegie Mellon University