Subject: Re: Newsgroups (was: Updated news-nntp-uri I-D)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 15:42:24 -0800 (PST)

"Charles Lindsey" <chl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>I think we decided to make no normative mention of it, but to say in
>USEAGE how it should be used sensibly to indicate that a message was both
>posted and mailed, and not for anything else.

If we did, we are wrong, since current practice does not define it that 
way.

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 12:17:03 GMT

>If we did, we are wrong, since current practice does not define it that 

There is current practice that way and there is current practice for it to
be used in other ways (for emailed-only replies to news articles IIRC).

Having both these practices in use at the same time produces total
confusion. Jacob Palme raised this about 10 years ago, and was all for
introducing an ID to deal with it. We warned him off with the promise that
we would fix the matter in this WG, and what I propose to put in USEAGE is
the way we agreed to fix it.

Whichever way we fix it, it is bound to upset someone, but not fixing it
at all will upset everyone.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 09:46:13 -0800

> If we did, we are wrong, since current practice does not define it that

I agree that we agreed not to mention it in USEFOR or USEPRO.
If there was any agreement on what it should say, I'll have to look through 
the archives to figure out what we agreed, and I'm not going to do that 
today.

           Harald