Subject: Should I use displayname?

From: "Rickard Falk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 15:00:30 +0100

When I'm trying to perform a directory browsing, that I'm going to present
to a user. Should I then present the Displayname info or should I pars the
href to get the name of the resource, from the Propfind request?
If I should use the Displayname info, can I rely on that it only contains
the name of the resource and not the complete path? ( this seems to be the
case for IIS, Xythos, Zope. But not for CyberTeams server )

/Rickard

---

From: Randall Severy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 12:05:01 -0500

>case for IIS, Xythos, Zope. But not for CyberTeams server )

Rickard,

       The CyberTeams server will soon provide the displayname property, 
which will represent whatever is recommended for displaying to the 
user.  We haven't been returning it before since most of our earlier 
testing has been against Web Folders, which calmly ignores any values in 
displayname.  I would not rely on the href containing a meaningful resource 
name, especially when you are looking at something other than a file system.

Cheers.......    Randall

Randall Severy    [email-masked]    http://www.cyberteams.com/severy
CyberTeams, Inc.    [email-masked]    http://www.cyberteams.com
Mt. Airy, MD
(301) 829-6144          "Building effective teams in cyberspace"
1-888-832-5575

---

From: Randall Severy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 12:05:20 -0500

At 09:49 AM 1/21/00 -0800, Jim Whitehead wrote:
>2) deprecate displayname, and only use URIs for display to the user, and
>concentrate on i18n support for URIs.

Jim,

      As I just mentioned in an earlier response, this assumes that the 
URIs represent something meaningful to the user.  If WebDAV is going to be 
used for anything other than simple file systems, I think this would be a 
seriously limiting solution.

Cheers.......    Randall