Subject: RE: WebDAV proxy problems

From: "Lisa Lippert (Dusseault)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 14:53:20 -0800

I actually started collecting some information on this.  Since I don't have
testing resources for it, it's only hearsay, but here goes:

Known Proxies that support DAV

 - MS Proxy 2.0: Support for DAV is built-in to MS Proxy 2.0.
 - Squid: There is a patch for the Squid proxy server that adds support for
WebDAV (http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.2/bugs/).

Known Proxies that do not support DAV

 - Gauntlet
 - Inktomi's Traffic-Server
 - Netscape proxy server 
 - Network Application's NetCache.  Some ISPs have made changes to their
configuration of NetCache to bypass known DAV servers - e.g. the Hotmail
servers.  However, this fix won't support all DAV servers, just a fixed list
of known servers.

Note that the workaround for known servers on NetCache may well work on
other servers as well, with the same drawbacks.

Lisa

-----Original Message-----
From: David Engberg [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2000 2:26 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: WebDAV proxy problems

I have heard many reports that some proxy servers prevent WebDAV to public 
servers (driveway.com, sharemation, etc.), at least using Microsoft's 
WebFolders.

Does anyone have any more information on this?  (Fixes, lists of 'bad' 
proxy servers, etc?)

---

From: Joe Orton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 13:10:22 +0000

> WebDAV (http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.2/bugs/).

Apache mod_proxy works fine too. IIRC Squid 2.3 will pass through the
methods defined in 2518, but will still block methods it doesn't
understand. 

joe