Subject: Re: WG Last Call: Bindings Protocol

From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey M. Clemm)
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 00:20:42 -0500

> From: "Eric Sedlar" <[email-masked]>
> 
> * some comment to the effect that if the URL is a versioned resource, and
> the currently selected revision is changed, the resourceid will not change.
> (I'm assuming that is what you want.)  So even though two people might see
> different data from a GET request from the same URL (because they would get
> a different revision selected), they would still have the same resourceid.
> Therefore, people should NOT use resourceid to invalidate caches or any
> other application that assumes a one to one correspondence between
> resourceid and data.

Yes, I believe that is what we want, and will insert some wording of
this kind in the versioning protocol (unless anyone objects).  I agree
with Judy that this is better placed in the versioning protocol
document, since resourceid's are likely to matter and be understood by
anyone reading the versioning document (we have various id's), while
the notion of a revision and a versioned resource is much less likely
to be matter or be understood by someone reading the bindings document.

Cheers,
Geoff