Subject: WebDAV Bindings - Issue Yaron.BindingsProperty

From: Yaron Goland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 17:26:30 -0800

Section 11 of the BIND specification defines the dav:bindings property. What
is not clear to me from the text in this section is if it is possible to
have the dav:bindings property accessible through one binding but not
another? 

One could imagine that two servers share access to the same disk drive and
hence are able to map names to the same "resource" (as they understand the
term). In order to keep things consistent both servers agree to record all
the names they use to refer to the same resource. However only one of the
servers actually supports the BIND method and the dav:bindings property and
the other doesn't. I can still do a GET on each server and the result will
be from the same resource but only one of the servers will be able to serve
up the dav:bindings property. Unfortunately the language in section 11
speaks of the dav:bindings property being on a resource so the presumption
is that if I can get the dav:bindings property through one binding then I
MUST be able to get it through the other. I believe this is too strict a
requirement.

As such I move that the language in section 11 be clarified so as to specify
that the dav:bindings property may not necessarily be available through all
bindings on the resource.

---

From: "Geoffrey M. Clemm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 11:25:46 -0500

One possiblity is to say that "all dead properties of a resource must
be available from all bindings to that resource".  This acknowledges
that the behavior of live properties can be "special", including
acting differently at different bindings to that resource.

   From: Yaron Goland <[email-masked]>