Subject: WebDAV Bindings - Issue Yaron.507

From: Yaron Goland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 17:53:14 -0800

In section 5.5 the 507 error code is written as "507 (Cross-Server Binding
Forbidden): The server is unable to create the requested binding because it
would bind a segment in a collection on one server to a resource on a
different server." 
	What does a server have to do with anything? If you try to bind two
resources in different volumes on a FrontPage server the server will have to
fail the BIND even though the resources are on the same server. In general
bringing in the server is almost always a bad idea since resources can be
spread out all over the place and the reasons for various failures may or
may not have anything to do with how those resources are laid out on the
servers. As such I move that the language for the 507 error code be altered
to read that the resource was unable to create a binding to a destination
and to leave the matter at that. All mentions of the word server should be
stricken.

---

From: Greg Stein <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 19:18:57 -0800 (PST)

> and to leave the matter at that. All mentions of the word server should be

I agree with Yaron here. mod_dav allows the server to operate against
different backends. It will not be possible to create bindings between
namespaces that map to different backends. (much less MOVE or COPY between
them)

Cheers,
-g

-- 
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/