Subject: WebDAV Bindings - Issue Yaron.PublishBind

From: Yaron Goland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 17:50:00 -0800

The spec refers to the redirect resource draft, even attempting to refer to
its RFC number. This means that the bind spec can not be published as an RFC
until the redirect resource draft is approved. While it is nice to point out
that the redirect resource draft exists I can find no compelling reason to
mention it when doing so restricts the schedule for the Bind draft's
standardization. Therefore I move that all references to the redirect
resource draft be stricken from the Bind spec, specifically the removal of
the last paragraph of the abstract, the 2nd, 4th and 5th to last paragraphs
of the Introduction and the reference [RR].

---

From: "Slein, Judith A" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:48:20 -0500

I think it's important for the binding spec and the redirect reference spec
to cross-reference each other, because they really are in the same space,
and implementers need to understand how bindings differ from redirect
references, when it's appropriate to use each of these in order to decide
which spec to implement or whether they need both.
 
There is precedent for a family of specs referencing each other in the MIME
specs 2045 - 2049.
 
If it does look as if one of these specs is running into trouble and might
jeopardize the approval of the other, I would certainly want to remove the
cross-references and comparisons rather than jeopardize both specs.

- -Judy

---

From: Yaron Goland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 23:13:17 -0800

Just for the record, I don't really care what we do here. I have no
conceptual problem with cross referencing the specs. I just think that
cross-referencing them when the Bind spec is in last call and the redirect
reference spec isn't means that the Bind spec will be held up by the
redirect reference spec. But I'm happy to do whatever the authors want. 

I consider my objection fully addressed.

> From: Slein, Judith A [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, January 21, 2000 5:48 PM
> To: 'Yaron Goland'; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: WebDAV Bindings - Issue Yaron.PublishBind
> 
>