Subject: Re: 423 Locked

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 09:31:31 -0500

There is a DAV property called DAV:lockdiscovery which contains a
DAV:activelock element which contains, among other things, a DAV:owner
field describing the owner of the lock. The WebDAV spec does not define the
content of the DAV:owner element, it only suggests that it should describe
the owner of the lock in some way that another user could contact the
owner. Unfortunately, there is no element in DAV:activelock that specifies
the actual princapal that took out the lock. I believe this is a bug that
requires all clients to maintain their lock tokens in some other redundant
repository. This issue has been open for over a year. I hope it gets
addressed and resolved as part of the ongoing effort to clarify WebDAV
locking semantics and protocol.

"Rickard Falk" <[email-masked]>@w3.org on 02/03/2000 03:46:52 AM

Sent by:  [email-masked]

To:   <[email-masked]>
cc:

Subject:  423 Locked

If a resource is locked with a exclusive lock, and another user tries to
lock if. The response then is 423 Locked. But, is there any way for the
client to know who owns the lock?
I would like the response to look something like this :
421 Locked
Date: ...
Server: ...
Connection: ...
LockOwner : user
LockDate  : date
LockType  : exclusive
LockedUntil : date         // if specified when locked

Comments?

/Rickard

---

From: "Geoffrey M. Clemm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 11:03:26 -0500

What Jim is asking for is a way for a client to find out "is my
current principal the same as the principal that took out the lock"
*without* asking its user.

I do not believe that is what Richard was asking for, but rather
wanted information to give to the user about who currently has
that resource locked (i.e. the information in the DAV:owner field).
Richard: Is this interpretation correct?

Since a client should *always* ask its user before doing
anything with a lock token from some other client, I maintain
that the currently defined DAV:owner field is adequate for
correct usage of lock tokens, and no DAV:principal field
should be defined.

Cheers,
Geoff

   From: [email-masked]

   Comments?

   /Rickard