Subject: Re: Qualities of URLs and resources

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 17:55:24 -0500

In other words, if you just remove *everything* in the bindings spec
  that defines an implementation, including all of the attempts at defining
  bindings as being something other than resources, then what you will end
  up with is a very simple protocol for manipulating URI mappings on
  remote servers.

Roy, quick question.   What do you mean by "a binding is a resource"?
That bindings and resources are one to one?   If so, when we say that
two bindings point to the same "thing", what is the word you'd like to
use for "thing".

---

From: "Roy T. Fielding" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 15:36:55 -0800

>two bindings point to the same "thing", what is the word you'd like to

A binding is an internal redirect from one resource to another.
The binding is a resource, and what it points to is a resource,
but they are not necessarily the same resource just because
the bindings exist.  The binding is simply a method for
establishing a temporary shared mapping mechanism for two or
more URI.  The client does not identify the mapping mechanism;
rather, it describes the relationship between the three resources
(source, destination, and source collection) such that the server
can figure out on its own how to align the mapping mechanism
in a mechanism-dependent manner.

....Roy