Subject: WebFolders case sensitive

From: Martin Hallerdal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 09:40:18 +0200

Hi!

When trying out my DAV server I noticed that Microsofts Web Folders had
problems when I sent "HTTP/1.1 200 Ok" as status line  in a PROFIND
response, e.g.

<D:status>HTTP/1.1 200 Ok</D:status>

But when I use upper case characters everything works nicely, e.g.

<D:status>HTTP/1.1 200 OK</D:status>

Can anyone confirm this? This is bad behaviour by Web Folders is it not?

Martin Hallerdal
SITE Scandinavian Internet Technology
[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Whitehead <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 18:19:46 -0700

Hi Martin,

> Can anyone confirm this? This is bad behaviour by Web Folders is it not?

Well, I can't confirm the behavior, but if this is indeed what is going on,
then it's non-compliant behavior.  The status XML element is defined as
"status-line", which is defined in HTTP/1.1, and status-line will accept any
text except for CR and LF. So lower case should have been fine. In fact,
anything there should have been fine -- the "OK" isn't meaningful to the
protocol.

- Jim

---

From: Greg Stein <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 05:12:35 -0700 (PDT)

> anything there should have been fine -- the "OK" isn't meaningful to the

I'm only here for about five more hours before leaving for the weekend
(and still getting out from a couple days of email while I was gone :-( ),
so I haven't done testing on the above problem. But I can echo what Jim
says: it shouldn't be looking at that text. In fact, mod_dav regularly
issues status line like this:

<D:status>HTTP/1.1 424 status text goes here</D:status>

(Apache doesn't provide a way to get standard text for error codes)

I haven't heard or seen any problem related to this.

Cheers,
-g

-- 
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/