Subject: MS Web Folders and properties...

From: [email-masked] (Gabriel Lawrence)
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 14:59:35 -0700

Howdy,

We are looking to use WebDAV as part of our server to handle the
document management ui. One thing we collect in our current HTML version
is some meta information for each file. I see the WebDAV protocol
supports setting properties for files, but what I dont see anywhere is
how the tools available out there work... If I set up our server to ask
for a description property, how can a user specifiy that property using
MS Web Folders, or any of the other ways?

Sorry if this is a common question, I looked around and didn't find
anything obvious.

Thanx,
-gabe

---

From: Jim Whitehead <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 16:58:00 -0700

> MS Web Folders, or any of the other ways?

At present, MS Web Folders do not allow you to set arbitrary properties on
WebDAV resources. Since Office 2000 uses Web Folders, arbitrary WebDAV
properties cannot be set in Office applications.  Since many Office
applications do allow within-object metadata to be set, it is conceivable
that an intelligent WebDAV server could extract this within-object metadata,
and expose it as a WebDAV property value.

- Jim