Subject: FW: MS IE/Office/Web Folder Behaviors with WebDAV

From: Jim Whitehead <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:53:33 -0700

Accidentally caught by the spam filter.  I've also cc'ed the DAV developers
list [email-masked].

- Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary M Gershon [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2000 4:35 PM
To: WebDAV List
Subject: [Moderator Action] MS IE/Office/Web Folder Behaviors with
WebDAV

We're making progress with a fresh WebDAV implementation for document
management using a large-scale EDMS backend.  One of the drivers of this
project is the out-of-the-box availability of MS Office and MS Web Folder
support.  If someone could shed some light on some of the behaviors of the
MS Office products in a WebDAV environment, it would be helpful in
directing our work efforts.

1.  Using IE, when launching an MS Office product (Word/Excel) from a web
page URL pointing to a WebDAV server, the File>Save menu choice is
disabled.  One can, however, do a File>Save As...  (Word and Excel are
windowed within IE.)  Can (how does) one enable the File>Save menu
item?  (IE 5.5, Windows 2000, Office 2000).

2.  Using Windows Explorer (on W2K) , the directories do not show the
Modified Date, although the date was returned in the XML stream.  Why not?

3. Is there a way to customize Windows Explorer to add other columns of
properties and file attributes returned via the XML stream?  Is there a
toolkit or documentation to build an alternative desktop-integrated Web
Folder view similar to the Windows Explorer experience?

4.  An Adobe PDF file cannot be saved to a Web Folder using Acrobat 4.06,
although one can save to a temp directory and drag-drop the file into the
WebDAV Web Folder.  Does writing from a Windows app to a WebDAV Web Folder
require special File>Save API coding? (Or conversely, is it likely that
Adobe is using non-standard tests/coding that reject Web Folders as a
File>Save destination?)

Gary

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Gary M. Gershon  -- [email-masked]

---

From: Greg Stein <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:03:01 -0700

Hi Gary,

The first three are best answered by somebody from Microsoft who is
intimately familiar with the products. I really don't know the answers
there.

Regarding the last question: yes, an application must take special measures
to be able to save to a DAV folder. Acrobat 4 is simply not DAV-enabled, so
it is unable to do the save. Adobe's upcoming GoLive (v5) product will be
able to save to a DAV server; I don't know if they have publicly announced
whether Acrobat 5 (or their other authoring products) will be able to.

Cheers,
-g

On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 11:53:33AM -0700, Jim Whitehead wrote:
>...
> _______________________________________________
> dav-dev maillist  -  [email-masked]
> http://dav.lyra.org/mailman/listinfo/dav-dev

-- 
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/