Subject: Revised working group charter

From: Jim Whitehead <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 12:32:46 -0700

Well, if you've looked at the WebDAV working group charter recently, you've
probably noticed that it's pretty far out of date.  The last milestone
listed is in 1997...

The purpose of the charter is to describe the scope of the working group's
activities, proposed deliverables, and a schedule for accomplishing the
group's goals.  There is a general concern within the IETF that a working
group without a current charter may tend to drift, and lose focus.

At the request of Ned Freed, our Application Area Advisor, I have created a
draft update of the working group's charter. You can find it here:

http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/webdav/charter2.html

The document lists a number of document deliverables, and a schedule for
completing them.  One way of reading this document is this: if there is an
activity that you think should get done, and it isn't listed, it will not
get done.

I have not listed work on DASL, since it is my current intention that this
work will continue in an ad-hoc group comprised of the membership of the
DASL mailing list.  I continue to have a strong personal commitment to
completing DASL, however, this work will not take place in this working
group.

I have also not listed work on PROPFIND extensions, since I have seen no
further IDs refining these proposals.

If you strongly feel WebDAV should address topics not listed in this
charter, please raise them now.  If you do so, please provide:

- Deliverables
- Schedule
- Who will perform the work

Also, any comments you have on the charter, including comments on
deliverables, scope, wording, schedule, etc., are appreciated.

Thanks!

- Jim