Subject: DeltaV: protocol nearing last call

From: "Jim Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 17:38:22 -0700

As many of you know, the IETF DeltaV working group was formed to extend
HTTP/DAV with versioning and configuration management capabilities,
completing the original goal of the WebDAV working group. Some call it
putting the "V" back into WebDAV (of course, I don't think it ever left :-).
DeltaV has been developing a protocol document, "Versioning Extensions to
WebDAV", <draft-ietf-deltav-versioning-08>, available at:

http://www.webdav.org/deltav/protocol/draft-ietf-deltav-versioning-08.htm

The protocol encompasses the ability to check-in and check-out resources,
view the history tree, create private workspaces, group changes into
activities, and develop configurations.  It introduces several new HTTP
methods, including REPORT, VERSION-CONTROL, CHECKOUT, CHECKIN, UNCHECKIN,
SET-TARGET, LABEL, MKWORKSPACE, MKACTIVITY, BASELINE-CONTROL, and MERGE.  It
also introduces several new WebDAV properties, and has an associated
versioning data model.

Jim Amsden, the chair of DeltaV, has stated that the DeltaV versioning
protocol is going to begin a working group last call period at the end of
September, thus indicating that the protocol document is stable, has
resolved existing design choices, and is at a good point to receive broad
community review.  If you would like to examine this protocol, and provide
feedback now, when it is still relatively easy to make changes, I encourage
you to read the latest I-D (or working draft), and submit comments to the
DeltaV mailing list.

The DeltaV working group home page is:
http://www.webdav.org/deltav/

The DeltaV mailing list is: [email-masked] -- send a message
with subject line of "subscribe" to [email-masked].

- Jim