Subject: DeltaV: protocol last call

From: "Clemm, Geoff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 14:01:09 -0400

I will be trying to keep up a "working document" for the versioning
protocol, that includes any changes to the protocol based upon the
last call comments.  Whenever a new "working document" is available,
I will post a message to the [email-masked] mailing list
(which is the mailing list to which all last call comments on the versioning
draft should be posted).

Anyone that is planning on making comments is encouraged to download the
most recent working document, so that you don't run into typos/issues
that have been already been addressed.  But note that if you are in the
middle of making comments on a draft, feel free to ignore any working
versions that get announced, since you shouldn't have to spend time
"carrying forward" your comments from one draft to the next (I'll take
care of that).

And I'll take this opportunity to announce the first last call update: 09.1
 
 http://www.webdav.org/deltav/protocol/draft-ietf-deltav-versioning-09.1.htm

This version has changes based on reviews from Boris and Tim.  In
particular, the
term "version URL" has been cleaned out of the draft, and a set of advanced
versioning OPTIONS "clusters" have been added.

Cheers,
Geoff

-----Original Message-----
From: Geoffrey M. Clemm [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2000 10:00 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: DeltaV: protocol nearing last call

Just as a heads up:

The last call document is version 09

   http://www.webdav.org/deltav/protocol/draft-ietf-deltav-versioning-09.htm

(soon to be also available in the standard text format in the standard
internet draft location at www.ietf.org).

I actually didn't get the 09 draft up until Sunday, Oct 1, figuring
that nobody would actually download it over the weekend ... not counting
on the extraordinary diligence of working group members like
Lisa Dusseault, who *did* in fact download the old draft (08) over the
weekend.  I have moved the 08 draft to an "old" subdirectory, to make
sure nobody else clicks on the 08 reference in Jim's message and gets
the older draft.

Cheers,
Geoff

   From: "Jim Whitehead" <[email-masked]>

   As many of you know, the IETF DeltaV working group was formed to extend
   HTTP/DAV with versioning and configuration management capabilities,
   completing the original goal of the WebDAV working group. Some call it
   putting the "V" back into WebDAV (of course, I don't think it ever left
:-).
   DeltaV has been developing a protocol document, "Versioning Extensions to
   WebDAV", <draft-ietf-deltav-versioning-08>, available at:

   http://www.webdav.org/deltav/protocol/draft-ietf-deltav-versioning-08.htm

   The protocol encompasses the ability to check-in and check-out resources,
   view the history tree, create private workspaces, group changes into
   activities, and develop configurations.  It introduces several new HTTP
   methods, including REPORT, VERSION-CONTROL, CHECKOUT, CHECKIN, UNCHECKIN,
   SET-TARGET, LABEL, MKWORKSPACE, MKACTIVITY, BASELINE-CONTROL, and MERGE.
It
   also introduces several new WebDAV properties, and has an associated
   versioning data model.

   Jim Amsden, the chair of DeltaV, has stated that the DeltaV versioning
   protocol is going to begin a working group last call period at the end of
   September, thus indicating that the protocol document is stable, has
   resolved existing design choices, and is at a good point to receive broad
   community review.  If you would like to examine this protocol, and
provide
   feedback now, when it is still relatively easy to make changes, I
encourage
   you to read the latest I-D (or working draft), and submit comments to the
   DeltaV mailing list.

   The DeltaV working group home page is:
   http://www.webdav.org/deltav/

   The DeltaV mailing list is: [email-masked] -- send a message
   with subject line of "subscribe" to [email-masked].

   - Jim