Subject: Re: DeltaV: protocol nearing last call

From: "Geoffrey M. Clemm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 09:59:46 -0400 (EDT)

Just as a heads up:

The last call document is version 09

   http://www.webdav.org/deltav/protocol/draft-ietf-deltav-versioning-09.htm

(soon to be also available in the standard text format in the standard
internet draft location at www.ietf.org).

I actually didn't get the 09 draft up until Sunday, Oct 1, figuring
that nobody would actually download it over the weekend ... not counting
on the extraordinary diligence of working group members like
Lisa Dusseault, who *did* in fact download the old draft (08) over the
weekend.  I have moved the 08 draft to an "old" subdirectory, to make
sure nobody else clicks on the 08 reference in Jim's message and gets
the older draft.

Cheers,
Geoff

   From: "Jim Whitehead" <[email-masked]>

   As many of you know, the IETF DeltaV working group was formed to extend
   HTTP/DAV with versioning and configuration management capabilities,
   completing the original goal of the WebDAV working group. Some call it
   putting the "V" back into WebDAV (of course, I don't think it ever left :-).
   DeltaV has been developing a protocol document, "Versioning Extensions to
   WebDAV", <draft-ietf-deltav-versioning-08>, available at:

   http://www.webdav.org/deltav/protocol/draft-ietf-deltav-versioning-08.htm

   The protocol encompasses the ability to check-in and check-out resources,
   view the history tree, create private workspaces, group changes into
   activities, and develop configurations.  It introduces several new HTTP
   methods, including REPORT, VERSION-CONTROL, CHECKOUT, CHECKIN, UNCHECKIN,
   SET-TARGET, LABEL, MKWORKSPACE, MKACTIVITY, BASELINE-CONTROL, and MERGE.  It
   also introduces several new WebDAV properties, and has an associated
   versioning data model.

   Jim Amsden, the chair of DeltaV, has stated that the DeltaV versioning
   protocol is going to begin a working group last call period at the end of
   September, thus indicating that the protocol document is stable, has
   resolved existing design choices, and is at a good point to receive broad
   community review.  If you would like to examine this protocol, and provide
   feedback now, when it is still relatively easy to make changes, I encourage
   you to read the latest I-D (or working draft), and submit comments to the
   DeltaV mailing list.

   The DeltaV working group home page is:
   http://www.webdav.org/deltav/

   The DeltaV mailing list is: [email-masked] -- send a message
   with subject line of "subscribe" to [email-masked].

   - Jim