Subject: RE: Ordered collections and versioned collections

From: "Clemm, Geoff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 21:40:41 -0500

From: Lisa Dusseault [mailto:[email-masked]]

   It seems from draft-ietf-webdav-ordering-protocol-07 that only
   version-controlled resources are part of the ordering of
   version-controlled collections (Section 9: "for compatibility with
   RFC3253, only the ordering of version-controlled members needs to
   be maintained")

   Does that mean there's no way to order versioned and unversioned
   resources together within a version-controlled collection?

That is correct.  The issue is that when you UPDATE a
version-controlled collection with a new version, it can change the
set of version-controlled members, and there would not be a way to
define what the ordering of the existing non-version-controlled
members should be wrt the new version-controlled members.

Cheers,
Geoff

---

From: "Julian Reschke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 09:39:42 +0200

> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Clemm, Geoff
> Sent: Sunday, April 06, 2003 4:41 AM
> To: Webdav WG
> Subject: RE: Ordered collections and versioned collections
>
>
>

Wait-a-minute :-)

For instance, we can define that the UPDATE operation does not define the
ordering of those members (that is, the server (a) may insert them in
arbitrary places or (b) must insert them at the end). Currently the
postcondition is:

"(DAV:update-version-controlled-collection-members-ordered): If the request
modified the DAV:checked-in version of a version-controlled collection and
the DAV:ordering-type for the checked-in version is not unordered
("DAV:unordered"), the version-controlled members MUST be ordered according
to the checked-in version's DAV:version-controlled-binding-set property."

How about adding:

"Members that are not version-controlled MUST be moved to the end of the
ordering (in no particular order)."

This behaviour would be consistent with section 6.1 (setting the position
when no ordering information was specified).

Julian

--
<green/>bytes GmbH -- http://www.greenbytes.de -- tel:+492512807760