Subject: WebCT WebDAV Claims

From: Frank Lowney <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:28:10 -0400

Can anyone here confirm or disconfirm whether or not the following 
version of WebCT (which claims to be WebDAV-compliant) is, in fact, 
WebDAV-compliant?

WebCT Vista 1.2 (based upon the BEA WebLogic webserver)
See: http://www.webct.com/products/viewpage?name=products_vista

 From the user manual, the following claim is made:
WebDAV (World Wide Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning) protocol 
is an Internet Engineering Task Force standard for collaborative 
authoring on the Web.  WebCT is fully functional with the WebDAV file 
system. Users can set up a web folder connection to either an 
accessible learning context folder or their My Files folder. For more 
information, visit the WebDAV home page at http://www.webdav.org . 
Once set up, the WebCT folder appears as a typical folder on their 
local computer. Users can drag and drop files into that folder and, 
if connected to the internet, the web folder will synchronize 
automatically to the WebCT server.

I am trying to track down why several WebDAV-compliant applications 
and clients are having difficulty with this server.  If I can 
establish for a fact that it is basically compliant and that these 
apps/clients **should** be able to work with it, I can direct my 
attention elsewhere.

Are there lists of servers that are WebDAV-compliant with ratings or 
notes on the degree of that compliance?

Are there lists of applications and clients that are WebDAV-compliant 
with  ratings or notes on the degree of that compliance?

-- 
=====================================================================
Dr. Frank Lowney  [email-masked]
     Director, Electronic Instructional Services, a unit of the
     Office of Information and Instructional Technology,
     Professional Pages: http://www.gcsu.edu/oiit/eis/
     Personal Pages: http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~flowney
Voice: (478) 445-5260
=====================================================================
We don't make instruction effective, we make effective instruction 
more accessible.

---

From: "Julian Reschke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 22:06:40 +0200

> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Frank Lowney
> Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 6:28 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: WebCT WebDAV Claims
>
>
>
> ...
>

IHMO no.

However, you may want to try the "litmus" test suite which checks WebDAV
conformance of servers and IMHO currently is the best thing that we have to
measure compliance:

http://www.webdav.org/neon/litmus/

--
<green/>bytes GmbH -- http://www.greenbytes.de -- tel:+492512807760