Subject: FW: Preparing WGs for the upcoming meeting in Vienna

From: "Lisa Dusseault" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:06:46 -0700

Pauls notes are great to prepare for an upcoming IETF ...

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Paul Hoffman / VPNC
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 9:56 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Preparing WGs for the upcoming meeting in Vienna

Greetings again. The meeting in Vienna in a few weeks will probably be the
first for many of the people in your WGs. A little WG-wide nudge a few weeks
before the face-to-face meeting might get more effective results. This might
be a good time to send a message to the WG mailing list, wearing your WG
hat, reminding folks:

- Newcomers can learn a lot ahead of time by reading the Tao of the IETF at
<http://www.ietf.org/tao.html>. The newcomer orientation on Sunday (this
year, at 1PM) is useful, but it is even more useful if they have read the
Tao first.

- It is a good idea to at least skim the WG archives for the past four
months before the meeting to help  prevent rehashing items that have already
been decided and to help focus on items that need more review.

- Similarly, it is a good idea to re-read the WG's charter before the
meeting. Heck, many WG chairs could get value from this...

- Many IETF areas have area-wide meetings. People who are interested in more
than just one WG can get a feel for what is happening in other areas by
going to these meetings.

- The "Note Well" notice is serious. It can be found at
<http://www.ietf.org/overview.html>, and will be given on paper in the
registration packets.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium