Subject: Prevalence of Digest Auth?

From: Matt Gushee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 21:04:41 -0600

Hello, all--

I am working on WebDAV support for the 4Suite XML server
(http://4suite.org), and I am trying to determine, from a practical
perspective, how important it is to provide Digest authentication. Of
course, full compliance with the relevant specs is one of our goals, but
due to time constraints that is probably not going to happen the first
time around.

Anyway, I have been trying to find out which WebDAV products (clients
and servers both) actually use Digest authentication, but have found
virtually no helpful information on the Web. 

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks in advance for any information you have.

-- 
Matt Gushee                 When a nation follows the Way,
Englewood, Colorado, USA    Horses bear manure through
[email-masked]           its fields;
http://www.havenrock.com/   When a nation ignores the Way,
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.
                                
                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)

---

From: Matt Gushee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 11:54:56 -0600

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 09:50:42AM -0700, Jim Luther wrote:

> ....

First of all, thank you very much for the response. Actually, I was just
about to send a message expressing frustration at having questions going
unanswered on this list (this would have been the third time) and
wondering if I should be taking my questions to some other forum? Should
I, by the way? I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone, just to get
the information I need to do my work.

> Mac OS X's WebDAV file system client supports Digest Access 
> authentication.
> ....

This is definitely helpful to know. I'm still trying to get a handle on
the big picture.

Let me narrow down my question a little bit:

:: Does anyone know of any important WebDAV clients that use *only*
:: Digest authentication?

As I mentioned before, we would like to comply fully with the spec, but
as a practical matter, those features that are both required by the spec
and essential for interoperability will have the highest priority.

Thank you all for your assistance.