Subject: Last Call: WebDAV Ordered Collections Protocol to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 18:24:02 -0400

The IESG has received a request from the WWW Distributed Authoring 
and Versioning Working Group to consider WebDAV Ordered Collections 
Protocol <draft-ietf-webdav-ordering-protocol-08.txt> as a Proposed 
Standard.  

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the 
[email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by 2003-6-19.

Files can be obtained via 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-webdav-ordering-protocol-08.txt

---

From: "Julian Reschke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 18:44:11 +0200

Chris,

You are right -- the last call draft doesn't try to specify server
maintained orderings. Looking at your draft, it seems to apply to
server-side sorting, which may have it's place in WebDAV SEARCH [1].  Note
that the plan for WebDAV SEARCH is to make use of collations as defined in
XSLT 2.0 and XQuery, once they become ready. So you may want to check how
your work fits into that framework as well.

As far as I understand, there's currently nobody working actively on WebDAV
ordered collections with server-maintained orderings. So I don't think it's
a good idea to delay publication of this work to cover something nobody
currently is interested in.

Regards, Julian

[1]
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-search-latest.html>

--
<green/>bytes GmbH -- http://www.greenbytes.de -- tel:+492512807760

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Chris Newman [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Saturday, June 07, 2003 4:13 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Last Call: WebDAV Ordered Collections Protocol to Proposed
> Standard
>
>
> I wrote a draft which attempts to create a framework for
> server-side ordering
> that can be consumed by multiple IETF protocols:
>
>   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-newman-i18n-comparator-00.txt
>
> I request that an expert in the webdav community review my draft
> to make sure
> that is compatible with the webdav ordering draft.  From a brief
> skim of the
> webdav ordering draft it appears it has left "server-maintained"
> ordering as a
> future work item, so I expect no problems.  However, it would be a good
> validation of the webdav ordering extensibility model to confirm it is
> compatible.
>
> It is possible the webdav ordering draft could support server-maintained
> ordering through a relatively minor revision to reference my
> draft.  While that
> would undoubtedly cause some delay in final publication, it may be worth
> consideration by the working group.
>
>                 - Chris
>
> begin quotation by The IESG on 2003/6/5 18:24 -0400:
>
> >