Subject: Client specified properties

From: Jeff Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:14:57 -0700

I've read through the WEBDAV spec and Lisa's book, but there is one area 
that isn't quite clear to me.

Is it expected that a WEBDAV server should accept arbitrary dead 
properties that the client PROPPATCHs?

We've been watching the messages sent by Windows Explorer and we see 
that it sends several Windows specific properties in a PROPPATCH. Our 
system naturally has the required properties (or can leave them blank in 
specific cases). However, we do not have any need for arbitrary client 
specified properties. Does WEBDAV (clients, servers, or specifications) 
expect that we do have this capability?

Jeff Thompson

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 21:11:50 +0100

> properties that the client PROPPATCHs?

Yes, according to the spec.

> expect that we do have this capability?

Clients: some. In reality, there are of course servers that do not 
support dead properties, and clients have to cope with that in some way 
(just give up, or try to continue without dead properties). As long as 
the PROPPATCH request is rejected in a proper way (such as "Forbidden" 
or "Not Implemented"), this shouldn't be a big problem in practice.

Of course it's *better* to support dead properties.

Julian

-- 
<green/>bytes GmbH -- http://www.greenbytes.de -- tel:+492512807760