Subject: Fwd: Protocol Action: 'Collection Synchronization for WebDAV' to Proposed Standard (draft-daboo-webdav-sync-08.txt)

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 19:46:48 +0100

(FYI)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Protocol Action: 'Collection Synchronization for WebDAV' to 
Proposed Standard (draft-daboo-webdav-sync-08.txt)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 16:13:25 -0800
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
CC: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Collection Synchronization for WebDAV'
   (draft-daboo-webdav-sync-08.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Peter Saint-Andre.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-daboo-webdav-sync/

Technical Summary

    This specification defines an extension to WebDAV that allows
    efficient synchronization of the contents of a WebDAV collection.

    WebDAV (RFC 4918) defines the concept of 'collections' which are
    hierarchical groupings of WebDAV resources on an HTTP
    server.  Collections can be of arbitrary size and depth (i.e.,
    collections within collections).  WebDAV clients that cache resource
    content need a way to synchronize that data with the server (i.e.,
    detect what has changed and update their cache).  This can currently
    be done using a WebDAV PROPFIND request on a collection to list all
    members of a collection along with their DAV:getetag property values,
    which allows the client to determine which were changed, added or
    deleted.  However, this does not scale well to large collections as
    the XML response to the PROPFIND request will grow with the
    collection size.

    This specification defines a new WebDAV report that results in the
    server returning to the client only information about those member
    URIs that were added or deleted, or whose mapped resources were
    changed, since a previous execution of the report on the collection.

    Additionally, a new property is added to collection resources that is
    used to convey a "synchronization token" that is guaranteed to change
    when the collection's member URIs or their mapped resources have
    changed.

Working Group Summary

    This document is not the product of a working group.  However, it
    has been discussed on the [email-masked] and reviewed
    among implementers in the calendaring and scheduling community.
    Consensus was quite smooth.  There was some slight controversy
    about whether servers should be allowed to return reports with a
    depth of infinity, but that issue was decided in the positive because
    some implementers have uses for such reporting.

Document Quality

    There are several independent implementations (mostly email clients
    and calendaring applications).

Personnel

    The Document Shepherd / Responsible Area Director is
    Peter Saint-Andre.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce