Subject: [Webpush] WG Review: Web-Based Push Notifications (webpush)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 06:19:19 -0700

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Real-time Applications
and Infrastructure Area. The IESG has not made any determination yet. The
following draft charter was submitted, and is provided for informational
purposes only. Please send your comments to the IESG mailing list (iesg
at ietf.org) by 2014-10-01.

Web-Based Push Notifications (webpush)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed WG

Assigned Area Director:
  Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/webpush
  Archive:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/webpush/current/maillist.html

Charter:

Many applications require continuous access to network communications so
that real-time events - such as incoming calls or messages - can be
conveyed ("pushed") to the user in a timely fashion. Uncoordinated use 
of the network by multiple applications can contribute to unnecessary 
use of the network on devices.  For instance, maintaining sessions can 
dominate costs over the long term, since pushed events are relatively 
rare.  This is particularly onerous for battery-powered devices, on 
which network communication contributes a significant proportion of 
power usage.  Each independent session independently incurs overheads, 
causing unnecessary resource usage on devices.

Several modern computing platforms provide a push notification service
that consolidates application events, distributing those events to
applications as they arrive.  The single session avoids duplicated 
overhead costs on devices.

This working group will develop a protocol that applications can use to
request the delivery of data to a device using a consolidated push 
notification service. This protocol will include the ability to push the 
same message to multiple subscribed devices.  The work may describe a 
protocol that allows a device to subscribe to a push service and receive 
pushed messages.

This work will be done in collaboration with the W3C Webapps Working
Group, who are developing a Web Push API for use in web applications 
(see <http://www.w3.org/TR/push-api/>).

Milestones:
  Nov 2015 - Send web push protocol draft to the IESG as Proposed
Standard

---

From: Arthur Barstow <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 10:20:31 -0400

[ Bcc [email-masked] ]

Hi All,

I recall the IETF's intent to create a web-based push notifications 
protocol standard was previously announced on this list. Please note the 
draft charter for this WG explicitly mentions WebApps:

[[
<http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-webpush/>

...

This work will be done in collaboration with the W3C Webapps Working 
Group, who
are developing a Web Push API for use in web applications (see
<http://www.w3.org/TR/push-api/>).
]]

If anyone has any comments or concerns about this, please speak up.

-Thanks, AB

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[Webpush] WG Review: Web-Based Push Notifications (webpush)
Date: 	Wed, 24 Sep 2014 06:19:19 -0700
From: 	The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: 	IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
CC: 	webpush WG <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:

Mailing list

Charter:

Milestones:

_______________________________________________
Webpush mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/webpush

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 10:59:21 -0700

Is this meant to be over HTTP or not? That WG is called "Web-based", and the charter says that this will be done in collaboration with with the W3C WG, but the charter also says that the WG will "develop a protocol". HTTP is already developed; in fact, we are close to finishing it again. :-) The charter should say "develop a way to use HTTP", not "develop a protocol". 

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 14:24:22 -0700

(Re-directing to iesg@ietf, per the charter review announcement.)

Hi Paul,

The protocol is for the web, but it need not necessarily be HTTP-based.
There is an individual draft that contains an HTTP-based proposal, and we
all love HTTP, but I’m not sure we need to constrain it in the charter if
someone comes up with a different idea.

Alissa

On 9/24/14, 10:59 AM, "Paul Hoffman" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Is this meant to be over HTTP or not? That WG is called "Web-based", and
>the charter says that this will be done in collaboration with with the
>W3C WG, but the charter also says that the WG will "develop a protocol".
>HTTP is already developed; in fact, we are close to finishing it again.
>:-) The charter should say "develop a way to use HTTP", not "develop a
>protocol". 
>
>--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 15:24:19 -0700

> someone comes up with a different idea.

The idea of having a WG called "Web-foo" that is about the Internet, not the web, seems completely broken in the sense that you will not get the right people to review the design until much too late in the design process. Please either rename the WG to "Push Notifications (pushnotify)" or limit the scope in the charter to using web technologies, namely HTTP and URIs.

--Paul Hoffman