Subject: [websec] #17: Use the "magic numbers" in the media type IANA registry instead of an explicit table

From: "websec issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 23:37:42 -0000

#17: Use the "magic numbers" in the media type IANA registry instead of an
explicit table

 The Internet Media Type IANA registry contains a field for "Magic Number"
 which is intended to represent how the type can be sniffed.

 The tables in this document and the IANA registry should be aligned,
 although perhaps the IANA registry should be expanded to annotate whether
 the "Magic Number" information in the IANA registry is suitable for
 sniffing.

 Otherwise, how could one ever sniff a new MIME type ?

-- 
------------------------+--------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  masinter@…  |      Owner:  draft-ietf-websec-mime-sniff@…
     Type:  defect      |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major       |  Milestone:
Component:  mime-sniff  |    Version:
 Severity:  -           |   Keywords:
------------------------+--------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/websec/trac/ticket/17>
websec <http://tools.ietf.org/websec/>