Subject: [websec] Updated, updated DIGEST spec

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 13:54:34 -0400

In response to comments on and off list, I have revved the draft to
produce a -02

* Have fixed the omission of the scheme and algorithm in
/.well-known/di/sha-256
* Have changed the colon separating the algorithm and the digest to a
semi-colon on advice that some parsers will choke otherwise
* Have taken out the SHA-128 scheme and instead put in support for
truncation on an arbitrary 32 bit boundary. [This needs a security
consideration of course]

I guess I should have added the acknowledgements section as well.

Stephen and I have had discussions off list. If all goes well this
should be the last version of this draft before we get to a merge. The
outcome that seems to be most likely to suit people's needs would be
to have two drafts. The first would just have the core syntax and
security considerations for using digest identifiers. The second would
have all the interesting stuff link locators and encryption and stuff.
Content-type would likely be in the second.

I am going off to write some code.

-- 
Website: http://hallambaker.com/

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 13:55:01 -0400

And he left out the URL that the message was about.

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-hallambaker-digesturi-02.txt

---

From: "Rahman, Akbar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 10:08:04 -0400

Hi Phillip,

I read through your draft and it was quite interesting.  For DECADE, are
you proposing to use your scheme for the naming of DECADE objects or for
some other purpose?  Please excuse me if the question had already been
discussed as I must have missed it.

Akbar

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Phillip Hallam-Baker
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 1:55 PM
To: websec; [email-masked]
Subject: [decade] Updated, updated DIGEST spec

-- 
Website: http://hallambaker.com/
_______________________________________________
decade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/decade

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 11:24:12 -0400

Actually the proposal is to merge my proposal with the ni scheme made
by Stephen et. al.

I generally recon that if two independent proposals converge on
essentially the same thing it probably means it is on the right track.
At worst it is a necessary dead end that has to be explored:-)