Subject: Re: [websec] #17: Use the "magic numbers" in the media type IANA registry instead of an explicit table

From: "websec issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 02:55:42 -0000

#17: Use the "magic numbers" in the media type IANA registry instead of an
explicit table

Comment (by masinter@…):

 The IANA registry of magic numbers contains a lot of garbage unsuitable
 for a normative algorithm for sniffing.  I don't think the IANA registry
 can be used as-is. Rather, the information currently in tables in this
 document should be moved/copied/duplicated in an IANA registry which is
 either part of, or linked to, the IANA media type registry.

 This might not be necessary if the scope of the document (issue #15) were
 limited to "HTTP responses which contain content-type headers", but since
 the scope is much broader, accomdating new media types is necessary and
 only having a registry for that extensibility point would allow this
 document to move to standards track.

 (Unless this document is moved to BCP?)

-- 
------------------------+---------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  masinter@…  |       Owner:  draft-ietf-websec-mime-sniff@…
     Type:  defect      |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major       |   Milestone:
Component:  mime-sniff  |     Version:
 Severity:  -           |  Resolution:
 Keywords:              |
------------------------+---------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/websec/trac/ticket/17#comment:1>
websec <http://tools.ietf.org/websec/>