Subject: [websec] RFC 7469 on Public Key Pinning Extension for HTTP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 13:38:31 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7469

        Title:      Public Key Pinning Extension for HTTP 
        Author:     C. Evans, C. Palmer, R. Sleevi
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      28
        Characters: 61619
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-websec-key-pinning-21.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7469

This document defines a new HTTP header that allows web host
operators to instruct user agents to remember ("pin") the hosts'
cryptographic identities over a period of time.  During that time,
user agents (UAs) will require that the host presents a certificate
chain including at least one Subject Public Key Info structure whose
fingerprint matches one of the pinned fingerprints for that host.  By
effectively reducing the number of trusted authorities who can
authenticate the domain during the lifetime of the pin, pinning may
reduce the incidence of man-in-the-middle attacks due to compromised
Certification Authorities.

This document is a product of the Web Security Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 17:37:34 -0400

The final websec document has been published today by the RFC Editor.
With that, the websec working group has completed its work.  Thanks
very much to all the participants who spent their time and effort
working on this, and especially to Tobias, Yoav, and Alexey, the
current and past chairs.

I will be asking the Secretariat to close the working group.  The
mailing list will remain open for related discussion.

Barry, Applications AD

---

From: Tobias Gondrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 23:29:22 +0100

Hurray! :-) :-) :-)
And a big "thank you" from me as well to all the many participants, 
authors, contributors and my fellow co-chairs. I very much appreciate 
the hard work from all of you and the good and very productive 
discussions we had in the WG and I think we can be proud that our work 
items are already finding their way into main stream adoption and can 
help to make the Internet a little bit safer.

With the last document released, we can now close our WEBSEC WG.

Many thanks and many greetings,

Tobias (websec co-chair)

On 17/04/15 22:37, Barry Leiba wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> websec mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/websec