Subject: TAME & XML
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 15:17:40 EST
List-Id: <ietf-xml-mime.imc.org>

TAME™ (Tag-Activated Markup Enhancer) is a platform-independent, server-side, 
interpretive programming language. The scope and functionality of the 
language are comparable to Java and Javascript. TAME is compatible with Java, 
so you can incorporate and continue to use applets and elements you have 
already developed. TAME is fully integrated with XML (eXtensible Markup 
Language): with TAME, you can create your own XML code at will. 

TAME's primary benefits include the following. This guide outlines these 
benefits and gives a brief overview of the way TAME works. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
  Platform independence 
 
 Browser compatibility 
 
 Less bandwidth to deliver data-driven content 
 
 XML technology 
 
 Ease of coding and use 
 
 Elimination of CGI programming
 
Platform Independence - TAME with XML maintains platform independence. It can 
be deployed on Linux, Unix, and Microsoft Windows NT operating systems.  back 
to top 
Browser Compatibility

Features at a glance  
1.

2. TAME XML overcomes browser limitations 
Eliminates dependency on browser upgrades 

TAME’s XML code can be interpreted and processed by virtually any Web browser 
in use today. Without TAME, producing XML readable by today’s major browsers 
can be an impossible task. Netscape and Microsoft have announced that 
upcoming releases of their browsers will be able to read XML, but even when 
this happens, it will not account for the millions of browser copies in 
circulation today. Furthermore, XML is in its infancy: it is still being 
defined. The ability of these proposed browsers to read XML is at 1.0. 
Continual modifications will be necessary, and not all users will download 
and install the patches or upgrades. By employing TAME for XML, you are 
assured that your applications written in XML can be viewed and used by 
nearly every Internet user, now and in the future. 
  back to top 
Less Bandwidth to
Deliver Data-Driven Content 

Features at a glance 
1.
2. Server-side processing 
Greater user satisfaction 

Another value TAME offers is server-side processing, which greatly reduces 
bandwidth consumption. While reduced bandwidth translates to reduced costs, 
this is only a secondary benefit. Your primary benefit of server-side 
processing is the speed and ease your customers will experience as they work 
interactively with your applications over the Web. No matter how your 
customers are connected (whether they’re using a dial-up modem, DSL, or a 
T-1), they will find your online services to be much more user-friendly and 
rapid. 
  back to top 
Use of XML Technology

Features at a glance 
1.

2.
3. Increased flexibility in Web design and presentation
Ease of producing XML
Predefined functions in TAME accelerate learning and application  

XML is a descendant of SGML (standard generalized markup language), as is 
HTML (hypertext markup language). HTML employs rigid rules for tagging, and 
despite these ironclad standards, a Web page’s appearance can vary based on 
the browser and operating system. The solution has been to settle for the 
least common denominator of page setup or to state that the site is best 
viewed using a particular browser. 

TAME’s XML helps you avoid these problems. XML exploits the original rules 
that were established in SGML, giving developers greater freedom for 
creativity. With TAME, the freedom is increased even more by ensuring a page 
will appear the same way no matter the Web browser or operating system. 

TAME contains more than 360 predefined functions, which cuts the learning 
curve that new and seasoned programmers would otherwise have to surmount when 
using this language. Moreover, the set functions save experienced programmers 
time by reducing repetitive tagging. 

TAME gives you the power to work with XML standards to create code suited to 
your particular applications: you can create new XML tags specific to a 
project, application, industry, or the whole Web. 
  back to top 
Ease of Coding and Use 

Features at a glance 
1.

2.
3. Predefined tags help eliminate whole processes 
Faster development cycles allowed 
Code is shorter, further reducing bandwidth demand 

Code is much shorter because of TAME’s predefined tags. In fact, application 
of the preset tags eliminates whole processes, such as CGI programming. 
Economy of code saves programmers time and reduces the development process, 
meaning applications and new application releases (or bug fixes) can be 
deployed more quickly. Furthermore, a reduced programming cycle enables you 
to invest additional time in planning as well as quality assurance. 

Yet another benefit of shorter code is an even greater reduction of bandwidth 
demands. Consequently, the combination of reduced code length and server-side 
processing through TAME means that your bandwidth usage is mostly for the 
“vitals” of the Internet: sending pages to users and receiving information 
back from them. Users receive only resultant data, not applications to 
formulate data. 
  back to top 
Elimination of CGI (Common Gateway Interface) Programming

Features at a glance  
1.

2. No need to set up Perl scripts 
TAME XML captures objects dynamically 

Many Internet applications require CGI programming to cull information and 
categorize it after a user submits a form online. TAME and XML eliminate that 
requirement. Instead, the information is tagged as the user submits it. For 
example a first name, last name submission may be “wrapped” in tags as 
follows: 

<EACHRECORD TABLE=CUST> 
<td>{?FIRST}</td> 
<td>{?LAST}</td> 
</EACHRECORD> 

This code illustrates the replacement for CGI. The data-driven object 
variables will dynamically generate columns from the source information 
starting with the first one encountered and it will run through infinity. 

Harness the Power of TAME Today - No matter your role in the computer 
industry, whether you’re an application service provider, an Internet service 
provider, an OEM, a developer, or an end user, you can start implementing 
TAME now to reduce production times and increase the value of your services. 
Call 877.FOR.TAME 
(877/367-8263) or send an e-mail to [email-masked] for more details. 
Complimentary technology briefings are occurring nationwide. You can find out 
the schedules by phone or e-mail
 
 <A HREF="http://www.virtualsellers.com/index.htm">VirtualSellers.com - 
Corporate</A>  <A HREF="http://www.tameable.com">TAME - <Tag Activated Markup 
Enhancer></A>