Subject: Re: UTF-16, the BOM, and media types
From: "Martin J. Duerst" <[email-masked]>
To: MURATA Makoto <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 18:49:15 +0900
List-Id: <ietf-xml-mime.imc.org>

At 00/04/07 00:16 +0900, MURATA Makoto wrote:
>In message "Re: UTF-16, the BOM, and media types",
>Martin J. Duerst wrote...
>  >So if something comes in with a label of UTF-16BE, then an XML
>  >processor can either say 'sorry, don't know UTF-16BE', or it
>  >can know it and interpret it accordingly. Every XML processor
>  >has to understand UTF-16, but supporting UTF-16LE is not
>  >required. If you don't like UTF-16LE for XML, just don't
>  >support it.
>
>I was assuming that people trying to mandate the support
>of UTF-16LE/BE.  It appears that my assumption is wrong.
>
>Martin, would you be happy if some processors do not support
>UTF-16LE/BE XML entities (to be precise, document entities,
>external parameter entities, external parsed entities, and
>external DTD subsets) containing the correct encoding
>declaration?

Well, it's not a question of me being happy or not, but
that would be absolutely fine. Assume an entity/whatever
came in over http with a charset parameter of UTF-16LE.
It would be absolutely impossible to retroactively ask
XML implementations to understand that.

Regards,   Martin.

From: MURATA Makoto <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 00:16:05 +0900
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: UTF-16, the BOM, and media types
Sender: [email-masked]

In message "Re: UTF-16, the BOM, and media types",
Martin J. Duerst wrote...
 >So if something comes in with a label of UTF-16BE, then an XML
 >processor can either say 'sorry, don't know UTF-16BE', or it
 >can know it and interpret it accordingly. Every XML processor
 >has to understand UTF-16, but supporting UTF-16LE is not
 >required. If you don't like UTF-16LE for XML, just don't
 >support it.

I was assuming that people trying to mandate the support 
of UTF-16LE/BE.  It appears that my assumption is wrong.

Martin, would you be happy if some processors do not support 
UTF-16LE/BE XML entities (to be precise, document entities,
external parameter entities, external parsed entities, and 
external DTD subsets) containing the correct encoding 
declaration?

----
MURATA Makoto  [email-masked]