Subject: Re: Please review ietf-draft of the "application/soap+xml" media type
From: [email-masked]
To: Yves Lafon <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 17:03:38 -0400
List-Id: <ietf-xml-mime.imc.org>

I think this is on the whole just fine.  The sentence referenced below is 
(a) a run on sentence and (b) seems to imply that the media type is only 
useable in the context of a SOAP binding.  Isn't this a bit like saying 
that image/gif is only a useful media type if you have a GIF viewer 
application in mind?  It seems to me that the reference to SOAP bindings 
might be included as informative, but the media type is appropriate any 
time something is intended to be a SOAP envelope.  That could include one 
queued in a database, set out in a buffer or whatever.  Using this media 
type says:  this data is interpretable as a serialized SOAP envelope. 

<original>
This specification defines the media type "application/soap+xml" which can 
be used to identify SOAP messages serialized with XML 1.0 carried in MIME 
or MIME like protocols that support the concept of media types for which a 
SOAP binding has been defined.
</original>

<proposedShort>
This specification defines the media type "application/soap+xml" which can 
be used to identify SOAP message envelopes that have been serialized with 
XML 1.0. 
</proposedShort>

<proposedLonger>
This specification defines the media type "application/soap+xml" which can 
be used to identify SOAP message envelopes that have been serialized with 
XML 1.0.    Such serializations are useful as the basis "wire formats" for 
SOAP 1.2 Protocol Binding Specifications [ref to SOAP part 1 Section 4], 
or in other situations where an XML serialization of a SOAP envelope is 
required.
</proposedLonger>

I didn't mention MIME protocols as I assumed that the useability with MIME 
is implicit in defining any media type.  If not, one could put that back 
in too.  Thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Noah Mendelsohn                              Voice: 1-617-693-4036
IBM Corporation                                Fax: 1-617-693-8676
One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142
------------------------------------------------------------------